Mazda Xedos 6 - Overheating even after repair

A few months ago I purchased a Xedos Sport 1996 model with about 112k on the clock. Car had one previous owner and full service history till

100k.The car was bought quite cheap so I prepared myself for the cambelt / water pump service as advised by many other Xedos owners and the one who sold me the car. He had previously done this service at about 55k.

Unfortunately before I got down to this service my car overheated and blew a head gasket. The symptons before this were the temp gauge going up till

3/4 of the way and then coming down after about 2 minutes. However the worse happened a few days later: on a motoray the right radiator hose came out and it lost coolant liquid before I safely managed to finally pull over and stop. By then it was too late, the damage was done

I decided to get it fixed instead of scraping the vehicle since I really like the car.

I had the head skimmed and tested, head set all back again, new thermostat, timing belt replaced, new water pump, replaced the spark plugs, a new radiator and a new air hose pipe that fits to the air filter since mine had a tape job done on it. In all this cost me £850 - OUCH!

However the sad news is that after 1000 miles, the overheating has not totally stopped. It does not always occur or happen - only on odd occasions. Perplexed the service mechanic thinks it may be the termostat that locks, air in the coooling system, etc. I am concerned and worried every time I switch it on and drive off. The service gargage is having a look at it this coming Saturday. It seems to occur when it idles and the fan switches on. In all these 1000 miles it has occurred on 4 occasions. Once I drove 300 miles with no problem, stopped to refuel, switched on ignition and the gauge immediately shot up past the midway range. I have been fortunate enough to have been able to safely stop almost immediately on all occasions it has occurred, so I think no damage has been done. The temp gauge has never gone above the 3/4 mark.

After 30-40 minutes wait, I switch the car back on and all seems okay. The temperature meter goes to the midway range and remains there.

Any help needed desperately. Apart from placing any suggestions on this forum please feel free to also email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk with any advice.

Thanks

Reply to
Lemos

Either you have a slightly weeping H/G on the other 3 cylinders, OR, and check this first, you still have air in the system. I havent worked on the

2.0 V6, so am not familiar with bleeding it, or its propensity to trapping air when refilled, but this could be your problem.

Are you actually loosing coolant, and does the fan come on when the gauge rises?

Does it over heat when on the move, stationary, under high load, etc etc? Is there any pattern to it?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..