Mechanic gloves

I may be being a tart here but has anyone tried mechanic gloves ? not the surgical gloves but some like this 180394530505 on ebay.

Having done a number of tasks recently on the car I seem to spend a bit of time with my swarfega (sp?) trying to get the crap off. I thought perhaps some slimslime tight gloves would be a good idea to keep the hands clean and save time and even a grazed knuckle with some gloves ?

Any thought or am I just being a big girl :)

Reply to
Peter smith

I tried snap on mechanics gloves, which were very nice in use but quickly wore through in a few places, which of course lets the dirt in. Good quality latex do the job very well, just change them when holed, or use nitrile for stuff involving petrol. Best quality latex I found were MAC, but they were dear.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Heavy latex or cotton/nitrile ones work for me, but until you've tried them on it's difficult to tell, they all wear out fairly fast & it does take a few hours to get used to.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

When I remember, I use barrier cream. I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference, but can't do any harm. Also, I use Tufanega - the orange stuff with granules in which is much more persuasive than Swarfega. It's quite cheap if you buy it in 15 litre tubs, then decant it into old Swarfega pots for use.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Standard builder's ones should be ok and probably cheaper. Gripping surfaces probably thin enough for all but the smallest nut, etc.

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=74540&searchbutton.x=8&searchbutton.y=12

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I won't work without gloves nowadays except in emergency. and yes even latex ones reduce injuries.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Think H&S insists? Still seems strange seeing KwikFit fitters looking like nurses. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'll vote for the bright blue nitrile ones - a box of 100 is cheap off fleaBay.

They really do make a big difference - thin enough that you can still feel and grip and "do things" blind, thick enough that you don't lose all the usual skin. And they really do make a HUGE difference to cleaning up.

The white latex ones are cheaper, but they're too vulnerable to various solvents and fluids.

Only downsides are that - in this weather, especially - you end up with half a pint of sweat inside each in short order, and that I always forget to put 'em on BEFORE I'm covered in crap...

Reply to
Adrian

Ahh thats interesting. That barrier cream is that like baby barrier cream (nappy one) as I still have half a pot of one left from when my son needed some many years ago, not sure why I just left it in the cupboard. I'll check out tufanega, the granuales sound good like exfoliating

Reply to
Peter smith

I just do a bit of home diy-ing but the dirt that gets onto the hands is a real pain to get off and all the scrubbing does hurt, then cutting the nails as it gets under all, without being digusting here. I think I decent set of gloves could avoid this, so long as they are thin and strong enough to work in confined areas I'd be happy. I guess I'll start sampling some different ones and see which works well.

Reply to
Peter smith

The worst ones will split as soon as used, the best are amazing. Go to a car shop or preferably a body/paint supply place, some will even let you have a handfull to try. I don't much like nitrile, but they are strong, good latex with grippy fingers are the best for general stuff.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Peter smith gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It was compulsory when I worked for Lucas, but enforcement wasn't needed, after the 1st few time you didn't bother the dermatitis left a lasting memory.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

HFM??

Fook that. 70p per pair for riggers gloves.

Reply to
Conor

M6 nuts are rather fiddly in those though.

Try a real glove supplier

Duncan Wood
[...]

I've used a modern nappy cream as a hand barrier cream. It works, but takes ages to rub in. Gloves are a much better option IMHO.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Love to know where you get them at that price - or at least decent ones. But rigger's gloves ain't any use for mechanicing. You can't pick up washers etc while wearing them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

- you need to be a member though!

Reply to