megane 1.9D cold start

Hi I have just bought a Megane 1.9D it has just had full belts, injector cleaner & filters all the glow plugs are good. My problem is the first cold start of the day is aweful seems to barely fire on 1 or 2 cylinders for first few seconds. occasionally I get diesel knock a minute or so after first start on load

2000rpm low gear. once the car has run for 2 or three minutes everything is fine and dandy smooth running no excessive smoke 48-50 MPG. This only seems to happen when left for more than 12 hours and air temp < 6 degrees.

could it be a leaky injector? If so what to do :-(

any ideas welcome.

TIA Jim

Reply to
jim

Recheck the glow plugs. This is 99.5% the cause of your poor 1st cold start of the day. If they've recently been replaced with some Halfords or other such rubbish ones, thats the cause... Only use genuine or Bosch ones.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hi, Thanks for reply Tim I have checked the current on all four heaters and they are all the same approx 12-14A so I think they must be ok. any other ideas ?

Regards Jim

Reply to
jim

Time for a compression check then...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

it is best to first ensure the glow plugs are the right type especially length. remove each glow plug and put twelve volts on it, the end should glow red in a second or so, from your description one or two glow plugs are duff.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

hi, chaps

I am really not convinced its the glow plugs. I have had diesels for many years now and have had glow plugs fail before it does not feel the same somehow; anyway you can't argue with mister Ohm right current for each plug so same Watts (heating).

Also the car always STARTS almost immediatley but runs rough as if one cylinder is occasionally not firing. Then runs very well a couple of minutes after starting.

any way out ideas welcome :-)

regards jim

"
Reply to
jim

spill pipes in good condition.? valve clearances correct.? pump may need fractionally advancing.?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful