Megane Auto - slight judder when gears change

Got a 1999 Renault Megane Auto...

I've noticed that, intermittently, at low speed, the car seems to judder a little when its changing gear.

A bit like if you leave a manual in too high a gear...

Any ideas at all ???

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

Buying a french auto isn't a good idea?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I agree. Check the gearbox oil level (if possible) and condition.

Reply to
adder1969

Any idea how to check on a Megane Scenic?

How easy is it to change the gearbox oil?

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" contains these words:

Some Renaults do not have a facility for checking the oil level. Read your handbook.

Reply to
Guy King

That's not uncommon though; I forget which car it was I was working on a while ago where the procedure described was to "stick your finger in the filler hole to feel the oil level"... hmmm...

However if its an auto there ought to be a separate dipstick, surely?

Actually changing the gearbox oil is similar to changing engine oil; remove plug, drain oil, refill fresh oil through the filler plug, though this can often be fiddly. The condition of the oil which comes out can be an indicator of the state of the 'box. However when changing the oil it's a good idea to drop the sump pan and clean it out with paraffin. It should be a service item at one of the high-mileage services, but I suspect it's never been done, like on our Previa until we did it. Clear oilways are vital to the correct operation of an autobox, so the last thing you want to do is leave sludge in the sump to be dislodged by the new oil.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

Not on some Renaults - like I said.

Reply to
Guy King

surely?

..and probably not on a scenic - my dad has one. These cars have such a bad rep for auto boxes that it shouldn't be allowed. In his case adding a little extra oil helped his problems so he drained it and it was a crap brown colour. He drained and refilled a few times and so far on the whole the car has been ok.

On many cars the filler hole is the level but on the renault there's an elaborate method of warming the car up & seeing how much fluid is drained with the engine running over a period of time or something daft like that.

Reply to
adder1969

sell it quick

Reply to
George Spigot

ho hum...

Reply to
BertieBigBollox

He's not joking. Renault auto's are an absolute nightmare- virtually guarenteed to fail before 60,000miles.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

No !!!!

Been having a look at it. It seems that the juddering happens mainly when the engine is under load (i.e. accelerating up a slip road). Like the clutch is slipping or something...

Hope its just the fluid !!!!

Reply to
BertieBigBollox