Megane brake caliper

My front brake caliper has seized up on my Megane (1.6 8v 1998) wearing the pads down to the bone. I can get some new pads easy enough, but the caliper (I'm assuming I need to renew it, though I managed to retract it with a G-clamp and some effort) might be harder to find. Does it share the caliper with any other cars, I'm thinking its the same as a 205 GTi, which might be easier to get hold of. I also own a 205 GTi, but that is some distance from my home, and I'm stuck with an immobile (or rather unstoppable) Megane miles away at work :(

Also are there an issues with changing a caliper with an ABS system, that make the job more complex?

Reply to
Davemar

Why do you think the above calliper will be hard to find ? Have you tried phoning around some motor factors, never mind phoning the dealer.

As for the semi seized calliper on you car, get someone to / gently / pump the pedal out whilst you hold your G-clamp in place (opened to just short of the maximum piston travel) to prevent the piston popping out and then use the G-clamp to push the piston back in, do this 3 or 4 time or until the piston need little force to push back in.

Re bleeding ABS brakes, there should be no problems, if you only need to bleed the one calliper. If you need to replace the calliper you should be able to clamp the brake hose to prevent air travelling up into the rest of the system.

Reply to
Jerry.

1998)

easy enough,

managed

to find.

A siezed piston doesn't necessarily scrap the caliper. I'd be inclined to strip and check it first. Might be easier to free the pistons and fit new rubbers, than shell out for a replacement. Could be that only the dustshields are damaged, which allowed crud and water to sieze the piston/s.

its the

and I'm

away at

system,

ABS makes no difference as far as removing or replacing a caliper is concerned. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I did find one in the end, for a decent price too. It was the time and my transport issues that were the limitations, rather than the supplier.

I try that to start off with, to see if it does the job with the current caliper. While I do have a new one, it'll be nice to get the existing one working for the time being, so I can replace it when I'm back at home. Currently the car is stuck in the my work car park, so the least work needed the better!

OK, that also agrees with Mike G's comments, so that was what I was hoping for and my intentions.

Reply to
Davemar