Megane coil packs

I have a problem with a 1.6 16v year 2000 Renault Megane. It has done 70k and overall it is a good car apart from one problem with the coil packs. Every month or so at least one fails, without a diagnostic pad thingy it can be a nightmare finding the one that has failed. It's a case of working left to right swapping them out and back until the failed unit is found.

Two questions:

  1. What could be causing such frequent failures and can it be fixed easily? (It's not down to cheap replacements, I have tried original replacements and cheap imports with the same result.)

  1. Is there an easier way to find which one has failed without spending huge sums of money?

T.I.A

Reply to
Nitro®

Have your plugs been replaced recently? What is the plug gap? Too large and you can kill coil packs quite quickly.

Ebay for an OBD2 code reader for your vehicle.

JB

Reply to
JB

Not had the car too long, about 6 months, might be worth having the plugs checked. I also looked at the OBD2 readers but was not sure if they could identify the exact pack that was at fault. ( do they count left to right or what? )

I have also read that coil packs/pencils manufactured before

2003 are unreliable, so I will make sure the next lot are of the right date.
Reply to
Nitro®