Megane doesn't like 1st gear

Hi,

I have a 1999 Renault Megane with 40k on the clock. I've had it for a couple of months and the clutch felt sticky. Changed the cable (which was partially melted because some muppet had routed it too close to the exhaust pipe) and it's much better now. With the clutch smoother I have now noticed the gear change into 1st is not very smooth:

-It shifts into 1st when the engine is not running.

-When the engine is running it feels a little harder: sort of sticks half way through the gear change as you move the lever into gear.

-When the car is actually moving it's much harder to get it into 1st. Going down from 2nd to 1st isn't easy above about 10-15mph. Revving the engine during the gear change makes the transition easier.

-Although I know you wouldn't actually want to: it won't go into 1st at all above about 30 mph.

- Gear change into 2nd is a little sticky but nothing like as bad.

- Other gears are good.

I'm no expert but am guessing this a worn gear problem rather than a worn clutch problem. I don't know when/if the gearbox oil has been changed.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter??

cheers! Rob

Reply to
Rob Campbell

What are you doing trying to shift into first while the car is moving anyway?

Reply to
Woof

Sure, I agree it's not something I do that often. But I find I do it at low speeds at junctions when I know I'll need to pull away from stationary or an incline. Point is that under that situation the problem is more noticeable. I can still feel resistance going into 1st from neutral and stationary.

Reply to
Rob Campbell

nothing wrong in shifting into first while the car is moving. i do it on a regular basis in my corolla coming up to a mini roundabout on a hill. i found out of interest that i can change into first still doing about ten miles an hour, no problem and often very useful whilst travelling slowly. why come to a standstill if you dont have to?

Reply to
john west++++

The 2 Clios i have had is exactly the same, i think thats the design of it.

Muggy

Muggy

By far and away the most likely cause is the clutch 'dragging' slightly - the lower the gear the more effort the synchromesh has to overcome. Has it synchromesh on reverse? If not, a crunch engaging reverse is the dead giveaway.

You could also prove it by revving the engine slightly on changing down - ie matching the revs to that which it will go to in the lower gear. This is good practice anyway for long gearbox life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Why do you want to change in to 1st at over 10 mph - completely pointless. Most cars will require effort to get in to first gear when the car is rolling at such speeds.

Reply to
Doug

Gearbox is most likely fine. Rev matching and double declutching helps changes down to first.

Reply to
Doki

not if you are on a steep hill.

Reply to
john west++++

You're on a bloody steep hill and you've cocked up if you need first whilst you're moving. You should get in second in plenty of time with plenty of revs so that you don't need first. Perhaps in something really underpowered with long gearing you might, but not anything halfway decent.

Reply to
Doki

underpowered

can you not think of a situation on steep hill where you are 'forced' to reduce speed (as in approaching a roundabout) to about five miles an hour and then have the choice of, (a). stopping and selecting first gear and (b). keep rolling and select first. underpowered? long gearing? cerebral compaction? toyotas are not crap gearboxes by the way. they slide into first at quite high speeds. a tribute to their engineering skills.

Reply to
john west++++

Cheers guys. I had a feeling the gearbox may have been fine. I've not got many miles in manual cars so I did wonder if the behavior I noticed was actually normal.

Car doesn't crunch when going into reverse and I did notice that rev-matching helped it go down a gear. Will use the tip for extending gearbox life.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Campbell

Is it equally as difficult to engage reverse from rest as first? Many boxes have synchromesh on reverse these days, so won't crunch.

If reverse goes in easily, but first is difficult, it might just be a design funny.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Of course I can. How often does this happen though? I've never had to change down to first on a steep hill. I've changed down to first at various speeds, but it's not necessary in day to day driving.

I've not mentioned Toyotas. I was thinking of something along the lines of a

45 horsepower Polo, with 30 topping out at about 35mph, and second at 55 or so. Fairly long gears for something with that little go.
Reply to
Doki