Merc. diesels - a word of advice

If anyone asks you to change the head gasket on their Mercedes van, don't. Just don't.

There are, apparently, two 8mm Allen headed bolts somewhere deep down in the camchain gallery which need to be removed. Such is the location of the engine that the camchain gallery is directly underneath the back of the dash, so you have to squeeze your head into the gap with a small torch up your nose to shine down the hole, a skinny screwdriver in one hand to lever one of the camchain guides out of the way, an 8mm Allen socket on a long extension bar to poke down the hole in an attempt to find the feckers, and another two hands to prevent your chest caving in as you have to lay across most of the engine.

And I still haven't found the bolts.

Oh yes, to get access to the *other* 8mm bolt (supposedly), which is even further from reach, you have to remove the camchain guide rail on the other side of the chain. The procedure for removing the guide rail is explained in the manual "later on" and when it came time to read the "later on" bit I found I needed a slide hammer and a 100mm M6 bolt to remove the friction-fit dowels that keep the guide where it's supposed to be. The second dowel is hidden behind a pulley wheel which is held on by 3 bolts, one of which is hidden and hard to get to. Oh, and f***ed, of course, by a previous bloke who changed the wheel.

When I *do* find the bolts, what are the chances that they will fall off the Allen socket into the bowels of the engine? Anyone want to place a bet?

Happy bastard bollocking Christmas.

;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Well if you do manage to get at them Wiha make magic ring allen keys with a sprung ring on the ball end that holds onto allen bolts quite well.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Oh yes? They sound good...but I've no idea how far down the tunnel the bolts are - they can't be *that* far down though because they're holding one end of the head on. The Manuel helpfully says "you'll need an extension". Yes, and an extension of my eyeballs.

Thanks,

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

It's a 208.

It's at the front but most of the engine is actually inside the van so the camchain is in the wilderness between the inside and outside, under the bonnet. The bonnet itself is tiny. I may have to hire some very small children.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Might be one of those grind the end off & superglue into 6mm socket times then. They're long series allen keys so I'd have thought they reach. (If you can't find them elsewhere RS do a set for about a tenner)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Bastard heavy ol' lumps aren't they?

I found the 8mm bolts - they were being hidden by the "under no circumstances allow the camshaft sprocket to become detached from the..." camchain. You can't actually see them unless you remove the sprocket from the chain.

Lifted off the head...off with the old gasket...compare to the new gasket...

Absolutely nothing like it. The only thing they shared was the 4 big holes down the middle and even they weren't in exactly the same place.

The gods are smiling then, as usual.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Oh I know that sight only far too well. & it's always when there's frost on the ground & the vehicle inquestion doesn't fit in my shed/garage.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Usual car fixing itinerary:

Exhausts and other underneath things - pissing down with rain. Engine dismantling - icy cold, preferably with a cooling breeze from the north. Clutch cables - sweltering heat so that you're upside down in the footwell with sweat running in your eyes. Spark plugs - engine red hot from a 100 mile run. Brakes - pissing down and just been to farm shop.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot