Mercedes brake question

I just changed a brake caliper on my 1984 Merc 280e. My manual said to rotate the piston so a small step on the face bearing against the pad should be at a specific angle. I couldn't budge the piston to the required angle so just stuck it on as it was. What will happen?

tia

Antony

Reply to
antony.adshead

Your car will self-destruct in 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 .................

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

probably it was already at the right sort of angle already (assuming it is a front caliper) if it is a rear with disc handbrake then it needs rotating to retract the piston anyway.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

AFAIK a step was put onto some pistons to stop squeal. Why it stops it I don't know, but there you are.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I read this somewhere too. It's not squealing tho (yet). In fact I'm enjoying the new power of a car without a binding brake

Antony

Reply to
antony.adshead