Mercedes Sprinter 311CDi brand new engine price?

As per the subject line really, what would a brand new engine, fitted at a Mercedes dealer, cost, fully fitted? And what sort of guarantee would there be with it?

Just wondering, as I'm pondering the thought of buying a high mileage Sprinter, and want to factor the cost of a brand spanking new replacement engine into things just in case the worst happens. Of course, it could well end up lasting up 300-400k or more (currently on 200k) but want to be prepared if it does go belly up!

And to those who were going to say "why not phone and ask yourself?" - well they'd be shut now.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

fitted

guarantee

mileage

Well actually I was going to ask, why not pay a couple of grand more for one with less than 100k miles on it? Of course you could still need a new engine but this is unlikely. It is more likely and economic if you source an used engine from a breaker or rebuild the existing worn engine if possible.

A brand spanker in such a vehicle is an unlikely scenario. But hey, whatever rows your boat!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Because it's not a couple of grand more, it's more like 3 or 4 grand more. For 2 grand more compared to the one I've seen advertised, I'd do well to get one with 30-40k less on the clock at the very most! I've even seen one advertised for £6k+VAT with 270k on the clock!!

LWB CDI Sprinters seem to hold their value extremely well, and the real bargains seem to be few and far between, and get snapped up real fast

Well yeah, it's the expensive option, but in many ways I'd much rather do that than get a low miler from a breakers that I don't know what's happened (I've heard of people taking engines out of smashed up cars/vans that have had such a hit that it's caused the sump, or even the block, to crack, and I don't want to be paying top dollar for something that could possibly have that happen to it, or be weakened in such a place.

I'd rather pay about £4.5k for a 200k Sprinter that has a fair chance of making it to 300k, or even 400k, without any major rebuild work needing doing, that might possibly cost me, I dunno, £2.5-3k on a brand new engine (fitted) than pissing away £9-£10k or so on a genuine low mileage example (and even a lot of the ones up for £10k+VAT have close on 100k on the clock). Ok, so other things like shocks, suspension bushes, transmission will all have done 200k as well, but a lot of these will have been periodically replaced (particularly suspension bushes/wishbones), and knackered shocks/transmission are a serious bargaining point on a high mileage van.

All irrelevant anyway now - just phoned up and it's been sold :-(

I really didn't expect it to sell all that easily, oh well.....

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Coming soon to a van dealer near you - a Sprinter with considerably less mileage on it...

Reply to
Adrian

grand

Just bought a new swb Renault Traffic [I think, the same as a Vauxhall anyhow] 100hp direct injection diesel with side door and plywood lining for £9k+VAT. Will replace a three year old 40,000 mile Nissan Rubbish van, the one with a mid mounted engine, with a decidedly dodgy and weak engine. The replacement cost is actually £3200. Good deal? I think so.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The message from "Huw" contains these words:

Trafic. No, really - go look at the back!

Reply to
Guy King

Bought it at a County show last Thursday. Not been delivered yet, nor will it until the 1st. It is about the same size as a Merc Vito.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Yeah, funnily enough I have phoned up about a few recently with between 140k and 180k on them, with no history, but "they would have been well looked after mate, owned by a big company you know, runs absolutely spot on", and never thought twice to question the mileage, but there's every chance that, due to the popularity of these things, that a lot of these with 140-180k on them could well have been clocked down from 250k++.

I'll stick with my 56,000 mile 2.5D Master for the time being, I think.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "Huw" contains these words:

I used to run one. Bastard to change the clutch on, compared to most vans. I'd have killed for PAS, too. I imagine they have it nowadays. Never let me down though - and rather overpowered for its use.

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds so. It's all relative to what the van's being used for, and how much profit's involved. I'm a self employed owner driver, and whilst I make reasonable money (doing multidrop work now instead of same day, which was largely shit, and much happier) I don't want to piss loads of money down the drain in depreciation on top of all the other runnings costs (servicing, consumables, insurance, fuel etc) - I want a van that doesn't cost me more than £1k p.a. in depreciation - hopefully a lot less. My 98/S Renault Master cost me £3.5k with a genuine 50k on the clock - I know the owner that's had it from new and know he looks after his vehicles. It's been serviced every 6k from new and I'll keep it on like that - it's had a recent cambelt as well, so all I need to for a fair while yet is just keep on changing the oil and fuel/air/filters. Since I've had it I've spent about £400 on it, but £100 was a new battery, and £200 was getting it MOTd and taxed for a year (just over £100 on getting oil+filter, fuel filter, air filter and aux drivebelt changed). I reckon to do around 25k/year, so in a couple of years it'll have 100k on the clock and touch wood still be in as good condition, and I reckon it'll easily be worth £2500 or so still.

If I was to get a 100,000-mile Sprinter (311CDI) for about £8k I reckon in a couple of years with 150k on the clock it'd still be worth £6k easy, given what they go for and how easily they seem to sell, but it's a lot more money up front, money I'd rather keep in my pocket.

I'd be interested if someone could point me in the direction of some sort of PCP type deal for Sprinters - where you effectively just pay for the depreciation. Even so I'm not going to get it for a grand a year, not on a new van, and then there's being tied to main dealer servicing etc etc... Think I'll keep the Master a while longer.

Talking of the 100hp dCi Trafic vans - I've just been driving one of them - my mate's work's van which he let me have a drive of. Quite impressed, though you do need to be aware of when they run out of puff (as I found out when I could have done with a few more revs). Might consider getting a new shape master, but don't really want to spend x thousand more on a newer version of essentially the same van I've already got.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan wrote: . My 98/S Renault Master cost me £3.5k with a

around

Since you have only recently bought this van [as you have only done

6000 miles in it] and are apparently happy with it, why did you even consider getting a high mileage Mercedes replacement? Surely not badge snobbery?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Think the thing with Sprinters was the long service interval, something like

20K oil changes, but darn expensive oil.Someat with German waste disposal regs.

They also got the heavy push to hire companies , know someone who worked for van rental co a good while back and they could lease a Sprinter for a weekly cost that was well less than a days hire charge.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I don't think they have been out for more than three or four years and the direct injection engine is newer than that, isn't it? It can't be more of a bastard than the Nissan/Freight Rover because these heaps need the drivers seat and centre console to be removed just to check the oil. Can't complain really because they were bought purely on price. Should have changed two but one is waiting for a side door and it is undrivable due to a duff injector pump.

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw

considerably

Mercedes vans have somewhat lower oil change intervals than their cars, which have variable service intervals monitored by computer. This system is not fitted to the vans which have fixed service intervals of IIRC 14000 miles or less if on stop/start work like local delivery/postal duty. The diesel cars can run for 17000 miles before a service is called for, which BTW is only just over half the potential of modern VW/Audi and Vauxhall diesel cars.

Huw

charge.

Reply to
Huw

The message from "Huw" contains these words:

Sorry, I meant the Trafic. The Vito's been out for a good deal longer than that.

Reply to
Guy King

actually, the service interval varies depending on how you drive them with just under 5k on the clock the service interval has gone doen from the

20k it was at the begining, to an alarmingingly low 9800 miles!!!!!! (i drive a 111 vito, 04 plate, £32k, smug looks, etc :) )
Reply to
dojj

£32k for a Vito? *thud*

I could understand that kind of cash for a Sprinter, but not a Vito.

Reply to
SteveH

before a

potential

Hmm. Our Vito 110CDi commercial van definitely has not got the variable service computer system fitted and has fixed service intervals of the traditional type, albeit a bit further apart. Is yours what they used to call a V Class people carrier?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

miles!!!!!!

Ours cost a not outlandish £10500 from Euro Commercials IIRC. That price could only be for a V Class or Viano Ambient with leather and entertainment system. Right?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I spent £32k of works money on a LWB 3.0 Turbo diseasel Sprinter in 1997.. P7 32 MMA IIRC :-)

Top van though, and the only P reg one I've seen with A/C...

Reply to
Pete M