Meriva A, the plot thickens (firms up)?

Hi all,

So, the other day the Mrs reported our 04 Meriva 1.6 petrol wouldn't start but wasn't able to tell me exactly what was (or wasn't) happening when she turned the key. Well, tonight it happened to me and if it's the same symptoms I'd say it was immobilised (turns over freely but won't start)?

As with her I left it for 30+ mins (luckily I was near my Mums ) and when I went back, all was fine. It had only been driven 1/2 mile from cold when I parked it up.

I noticed that the 'Emissions' light was on when it wouldn't start (but may have gone out as I was cranking it over).

So, random ignition light but still charging ok.

Speedo and rev counter die for a few seconds as the ignition light comes on (other things may go out but I've not noticed).

The ignition light can come on repeatedly (and be reset) even when the engine idling and the vehicle stationary.

The ignition light is reset on ignition cycling (ie, once on it stays on but can be reset).

My ODB code reader cannot see any error codes.

So, now I've witnessed the thing immobilising itself (when the Rover

218SD did that I knew how to de-activate it easily, even without the fob), are we looking more at the BCM?

If so, is it something I can simply unplug (does it sit in the fusebox under the bonnet), open up and check for dry-joints and the like and just plug back in without it needing any reprogramming etc please?

If I can't see / find anything obvious, is it just a matter of getting a suitable replacement (how generic are they, even if I get one for a Meriva A etc) and could I take it to a dealer and ask them to swap them out and program? Would the original one stay useable (could they then be interchanged)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don't suppose it's anything daft like a poor connection to the whole instrument cowl? My daughter's Corsa did funny things once that the RAC fixed by just pressing hard on the whole instrument cluster. Apparently a well known fault.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

First thing is: when the problem occurs, is t always with the same key? If so try the other one.

Most common fault that cures itself with a cool down is the crank sensor, very common and cheap on most vauxhalls.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

First thing is: when the problem occurs, is t always with the same key? If so try the other one.

Most common fault that cures itself with a cool down is the crank sensor, very common and cheap on most vauxhalls. when they go the rev counter drops even if it stays running (from the cam sensor feed)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

As it happens, no. She has her own bunch and it was whilst using her it first happened. All the other times it was mine. FWIW we try to look after such keys but they must get dropped now and again etc.

So, is there any way the crank sensor could cause the faults I've relayed so far or do you think there could be two things going on?

Ah, I was about to ask that (as I've not noticed any issues with the engine / performance etc). ;-)

So, it's good to know the crank sensor is cheap but is it easy to get to (this is the 8V 1.6)? (And would it put any errors into the ECU)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

on vauxhalls it does not usually show a fault, it seems to think the ign is off, on VW it comes up as a crank sensor fault !!

I usually find that faults show up singly, so fix one and the other is cured (if you fix the right one ! ) Sorry, but that is the way it goes.

IIRC the crank sensor is at the flywheel end and easy to replace.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

on vauxhalls it does not usually show a fault, it seems to think the ign is off, on VW it comes up as a crank sensor fault !!

I usually find that faults show up singly, so fix one and the other is cured (if you fix the right one ! ) Sorry, but that is the way it goes.

IIRC the crank sensor is at the flywheel end on the front and easy to replace.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

snip>

Ok.

Fancy that! ;-)

Understood. So, you feel the crank sensor could account for all I am seeing? I (with my limited experience and understanding of these things) can see how it could stop it starting (the ECU / BCM not 'allowing' it to start with a bad sensor output etc) but do you also feel it could be responsible for the ignition light / instrument shutdown as well?

Ok, well if it's easy, cheap and even only 'one of those things that do often go wrong' (and worse go intermittent) then I'm happy to give it a go (yet another tickbox etc).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I've just been informed a new crankshaft sensor is 20 quid?

Reply to
T i m

I have known some owners to keep one in the glove box, much as people used to keep a set of points. Vauxhall ones being a commonly sold part are probably the cheapest.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Oooerr!

Understood. I'll get one.

As a sort of aside ... I've just found the Haynes BOL and looking at what diagrams it does offer it seems that the charging cct (or possibly the indication of / ignition light) goes though the 'body control module'. I'm thinking therefore that the immobiliser might also go through the BCM? Is the BCM the box I can feel under the front passenger seat and the ECU is bolted to the end of the engine?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Can I just qualify this with someone please, if it is immobilised, does the engine still turn over or does it disable everything?

I have now noticed that the speedo, rev counter *and* temperature gauge go out (and stayed out). In fact they went off just *before* the ignition light came on.

It has also now *not* reset after cycling the ignition (engine started ok each time and the ODB voltage showed ~13.7 volts).

Update. I did find some codes tonight but first thought they were left over from when my SIL to be was thinking of buying a car and it had a fault light up. However, they may well be from my Meriva and read as:

P1615 (Powertrain), P1616 (Powetrain) and U2107 (Network), the exact same combo as mentioned here:

Also, I've now seen the 'Engine Electrics Light' (car profile with a spanner across it) come / stay on for the first time.

There is also mention of similar here:

Now, I think I understand the Meriva A shares much of it's hardware with the Costa C? If that is the case then maybe this is relevant?

Would a loose dash connector account for all the symptoms I've reported so far?

As yet the engine hasn't cut-out or misfired, it just hasn't started and the instruments seem to be going a bit mental (all the body controls seem to be ok).

No one has ever had the dash out AFAIK or even changed the radio etc (it's still got the factory radio cassette). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think I've found the full translation of those codes.

P1615 Serial Communication with Device 15 (VTD, Vehicle Theft Deterrent)

P1616 is Wrong Vehicle ID from Instrument Control Module C-40

U2107 Lost communications with Body Control System

Loose dash plug?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous reply. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It spins over normally

Reply to
Mrcheerful

it spins over and the car with a spanner symbol lights

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yeah, sorry mate ... I'm sort of going round and round here with all sorts of ideas in my head! ;-(

I think you must have seeded my mind to the possibility, even though I've not really experienced anything like this before.

So, as we speak I've connected my USB endoscope to my W7 laptop and will pop out and see if I can see anything (to save taking the dash out).

Cheers and thanks again. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Right, thanks (again).

I think when the Rover 218SD immobilised itself it didn't even spin over etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or do what the RAC man did and just give it a good thump. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have actually tried that already, in a combination of frustration and as a 'see if it's a electrical- mechanical issue in the console' but nothing happened. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In article , T i m writes

You pay the RAC man not for thumping it, but for knowing *where* to thump it :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson