Meriva rear discs

I'm planning to replace the rear discs on my sister's 2005 Meriva. They's very badly worn down, and I think the pads may actually be down to the metal. I'm not expecting any difficulty, but I was wondering about the difference that the handbrake mechanism makes to the job (I've never owned anything with rear discs before). Does it make the job much more complex than changing front discs, which I've done loads of times?

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

you will need the appropriate rewind tool, you cannot just press the pistons back in.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I got a rewind tool (one with lots of interchangeable bits) in readiness for the job. Is the rewind tool only needed because of the handbrake mechanism? I'm still not sure why it's necessary, but I'd read that it is.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

The pistons are pushed by hydraulic means for the footbrake and mechanical means for the handbrake. The handbrake is pushed by a rod with a 'ratchet' (for want of a better explanation) so that it can get longer as the pads wear (or handbrake travel would increase) To release the 'ratchet' the piston is turned down a coarse thread. On some vehicles the thread is clockwise, some are anti clockwise. Forcing the piston straight back breaks the mechanism.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks a lot - I'm getting some idea of what to expect now. The kit I have has both right and left-hand threads. I suppose I'll try the right-handed one first. Will it become obvious if I am turning it the wrong way? By which I mean, do they turn easily if turned the right way? Or are they always stiff, making it harder to be sure which is the right way to turn it?

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

If you are going the wrong way the piston will turn a little and then get stiffer, continuing will break things. Yours go clockwise IIRC Do not push the fluid back to the master cylinder, let it out of the bleed nipple.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Okay, thanks. I probably would have just pushed the fluid back, while getting someone to keep an eye on the level; but if letting it out of the bleed nipple is better, I'll do that.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

It is better practice in that it removes old fluid rather than shove it back to other places and can avoid problems with abs units, so is worth doing on any car. It also ensures that the bleed nipples get moving every once in a while even if you do not change the fluid (as you should, every two or three years)

Reply to
Mrcheerful