Micra clutch replace

The clutch on my ancient ('92) Micra has finally decided to slip like mad. Given the the car is in v. good condition for it's age (only done

50k miles). I'm considering a DIY job to replace the clutch - as the garages want about £300 to do it. (And that's about half the cost of the car :-) )

Having read Haynes on this job I can see there's quite a bit to it to get the transmission off - but I think I can manage. But I'd appreciate anyone who's actually done one of these saying what it's like to do?

Should I change the pressure plate as well as the friction plate and bearing? P. plate looks like an expensive item and of course I can't see the condition of it until I get it off. As the Nissan spares place is 10 miles from here I'd like to get all the bits ready... Thanks

Reply to
mike

*Always* change the whole kit when doing a clutch. The pressure plate will probably look ok at first when you get it off, but the diaphragm springs weaken with age. If you lay the old and new plate on a flat surface and look at them from the side, you will see that the protrusion at the centre of the new one is much more than the old.

But I haven't done a micra clutch, at least for so long I can't remember, so I won't comment on the first part of your question.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I don't think it's worth £600 by a long shot.

DIY is the only economically viable option. I haven't done one personally, but I'll contact someone I know who has and repost if they can provide adequate instructions. For example, "you take this wee hanging bit off, then unscrew this" probably wouldn't be much use. The person isn't too clued up at explaining things.

Reply to
David R

They are easy to do, I can't remember any difficulty when I did one before. If you are changing it yourself then I would say to decide on the pressure plate only if it looks really bad when you get it out. For instance the fingers may be nearly worn through or the surface may be horribly scarred, if it feels ok and looks ok, leave it in.

You must be going to very dear garages, down here I reckon you could get it done for a little over 200 including all the bits. Like I said before, I would do it for 90 quid plus bits, same day, if the bits are immediately available.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I've never done a Micra, but having changed a few fwd clutches, unless the pressure plate is *really* pricey, just change the lot. If you're doing it DIY without garage equipment, you don't want to have to drop the box more than you have to, because of access and the things you have to remove.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Go for it! :)

Report back - I might be doing one soon.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

That's not really the point of my post - I don't really care about that I was just trying to say it isn't worth very much. Actually I saw two on ebay a few months ago, same age and much greater mileage that went for £600 - that's where I got the figure from. I guess those buyers did think it worth that price - which is what counts in the end. I don't want to sell it anyway. I just use it for around town and it absolutely great for that. Easy to park, cheap to run (except when the clutch goes of course). Not the most luxurious of cars though I must say :-)

Thanks.

Reply to
mike

Mmm I like the price :-) Where is down here though? I'm up here in the middle (East Mids). Two garages quoted me £300 (small family owned places) and Nissan £375 and vat...

I like the idea of diy though (haven't decided yet) and ol it a real oldie but runs really well (KOD?)

Reply to
mike

Hey thanks for that. Aye I will do that. I have the kit and a garage

- trouble I can't get in it for junk so it's the cold 'ol tarmac for me if I do. Those parts look like toys don't they. Last clutch I did was several years ago on a bmw 325i - I'm still recovering - well not quite but you know what I mean :-)

Reply to
mike

I bought a water pump for 'er Micra from Ebay just because it was cheap - it's tiny! Miniature engineering!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot