Micra develops "throaty roar"

N reg K11 Micra.

At mid to high revs, the car has developed a "throaty roar", coming from just behind the front seats. Power is down...it used to cruise at 65mph in top, now it does 55mph. Oil level is OK, all spark plug cables are connected, can't see any loose pipes. Only thing I can see is that a screw has corroded on the baffle in front of the exhaust manifold at the top front of the engine. The baffle is held on by one screw now, not two. I presume the baffle protects the radiator from excess heat?

I think the problem may just be a dodgy exhaust pipe under the car. Nothing seems to be dropping off, though. Can i safely run the car like this until its MOT in Sept?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps
*QUICK* sell it to a boy racer and tell them it has 200BHP, they will buy it! It is probably the front downpipe or part of the exhaust at the front/middle - start the car and try to listen about. It will get worse in time. There is a nice Micra on

k.simons

Eh???

How do i work out the cruising speed on my modified citroen ax. I does 128mph (on the gps display .... the speedo needle hits the 0mph stop).

Maybe an equation is in order:

128mph/d²a,n/dt² = ( ( a,n+1 - a,n )/^x - ( a,n - a,n-1 )/^x )T/m= ( (^a/^x),n+1 - (^a/^x),n )T/m = 2mph
Reply to
SDD

Surely you don't mean this. The above reads as though your maximum speed was 65 and is now 55.

That may well be it. You could, I suppose, run it like this but you'll be using more fuel and making more noise, so you're as well to have it fixed.

Reply to
DervMan

Exhaust is blocked- either the baffles have moved or the wadding has come loose. Either way this is wots reducing power. A 1 litre micra should be able to do a good 80mph anyways, so if yours is all out at 65 then its got a problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

When I say "cruise", I mean the car is pottering along nicely, without any apparent strain on the engine and returning a good mpg.

Its a 1.0, but can normally do 75mph on a motorway run quite easily, but with more noise than my "cruising" speed.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Tim, Where are the baffles to which you refer? At the top/front of the engine? As I say, a screw has corroded there, but it doesn't seem loose or in danger of dropping off...

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

In the exhaust. Try

only expensive bit's the cat & that's unlikely to be giving you a roar.

Reply to
DuncanWood