Micra hiccups

My 93 Micra has taken to random hiccupping! It feels as if the ignition has suddenly been turned off. It nearly always happens (when it does at all that is) when I press the accelerator to pull away in first. Lately it taken to happening in any gear!

Today, with engine idling, I jiggled a rubber pipe that sprouts form the camshaft cover - and the engine hesitated. I couldn't make it happen again though!

There's quite a vacuum "whooshing" noise when I take the fuel filler cap off - a clue maybe?

Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks

Reply to
dave

Possibly throttle body - several hundred to fix! Unless its just the electrical connector a bit loose.

My daughters does the same - replaced plugs, carbon canister etc.

Have a look at

R. Murphy

Thanks for info - I hope it isn't this!

Reply to
dave

We've had similar problems with a Peugeot 1800 406 petrol and a Proton 1.5 petrol - turned out the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor had got 'old' - this is the sensor that tells the fuel injection how much pressure/vacuum is in the inlet manifold.

The symptom was a couple of minutes after startup the engine 'misses' for a moment and then picks up again. Occasionally it will 'miss' again for a moment to a couple of seconds - often at the worst possible moment.

Replacing them was a DIY job and took about 15 minutes for the Peugeot and 5 minutes for the Proton - the new Peugeot sensor cost just over £40 and Proton wanted over £100. Needless to say, the replacement Proton sensor came from my local scrapyard for £1! Problem solved, and no more children through my windscreen!

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui