Micra: rattle when pulling away

1995 K11 Micra 1.0 Petrol Manual. When pulling away or maneuvering under slow speed it has suddenly started making a rattle, from under the car. Like there is a crate of milk bottles in the the car. Similar to some old diesels.

Car is fine when out on the road. Clutch is OK -- pulls away in 2nd OK. The rattle begins once it has successfuly pulled away.

My initial thought was something loose under the car -- an exhaust mounting or something. I can't see anything, though.

Any ideas? Could the timing chain be on the way out? Engine ticks over reasonably quietly, though.

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Sounds like an engine or gearbox mount.

Andy

Reply to
dreadly

could be your catalytic converter, broken up, rattling around in the casing.

Reply to
reg

Could be this, it's a low frequency rattle only occurring at low speeds. Or maybe a suspension mounting? However, if I park the car up, put the hand brake on and get out and "bounce" the suspension etc. I can't emulate the rattle.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

most common thing is the bits of tin that cover the cat and downpipe, they corrode and come loose. I just cut them all off, throw them away and jobs a good un.

Reply to
jOn

Ah that reminds me - same thing but from bits of tin around the silencer. Same solution too :-)

Reply to
mike