Mini - how to extend central locking to passenger door?

2003 Mini Cooper. The central locking only operates on the driver's door when opening. On locking using the fob, both doors lock, so the relevant bits presumably are present.

Can the central locking when unlocking be extended to include the passenger door? The handbook is silent on the subject.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Often they do this deliberately to stop someone opening the passenger door and running off with your handbag when you open the drivers door for yourself.

Try pushing the unlock button twice, or for longer.

Reply to
PCPaul

Sounds like the driver's door has a combined motor and switch whereas the passenger one a motor only. Must have saved a few pennies. Trouble is many of these things are microprocessor controlled these days and may not be a simple matter to modify. Even with a basic system it would likely mean changing parts and adding wiring.

My old SD1 Rover just had a switch on the drivers side - no motor. That operated the locks on all the other doors and tailgate. As I discovered when I added a remote - the drivers door lock didn't do anything. Ended up using Maplin parts to sort it - they do a combined switch and motor which fits. But then you need to add a timer so the motors stop after locking - that was built into the original switch.

It might be possible to fit a motor/switch from a LHD model and just link the switch wiring to the existing switch on the driver's door. But sadly things aren't always that easy now, as I said.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. I *completely* misread the question. ;-)

That sounds like a US feature and might well be a dealer programmable option. Best to ask one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Not especially. Many European cars of the last 10 years have it.

Assuming the OP's car is not broken, and it does indeed unlock the passenger door on 2nd click, I think it a very good feature. I can't visualise a situation where I *wouldn't* want it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Can't say it bothers me. Except remembering to do it if you have passengers. But then I don't tend to leave my handbag on the passenger's seat. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your local mini dealer can set the keyfob to do all sorts of trickery, opening both doors being one of the options.

Reply to
Brownz (Mobile)

fob- being wireless - sono key so switch irrelevant?

Reply to
Blah

Yus. Totally misread the question. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Press the button twice? My Mitsubishi does:

1st press: unlock driver's door 2nd press: unlock remaining doors 3rd press: unfold wing mirrors
Reply to
Abo

Thanks for the replies, guys. Pressing the fob button twice or holding it down has no effect. When I lock the car using the fob or, sitting inside, pressing the button on the dash to lock/unlock the doors, if I hold my hand on the passenger door I can feel a clunk when attempting to unlock it, as if the mech is trying to operate.

A google suggests that these door mechs are prone to failure so I suspect I might have a duff one. Not a problem, I can live with it.

Ta again.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson