Mitsubishi Shogun - glow-plug problem.

A friend has a R-reg Mitsubishi Shogun 2800. The battery is in good condition, but after leaving the vehicle parked for more than about 20 minutes he returns to find the battery flat. Investigation has shown that this is because the glow-plugs are remaining connected, and his temporary solution is to disconnect the battery whenever he parks up. The local Main Dealer says that the problem lies either with the glow-plug relay (costing about £100) or with a control box (costing about £700). Has anyone here met this problem, please? Can anyone put forward a low-cost solution?

TIA of any replies. DB.

Reply to
DB.

rewire the starter plugs through a starter soleniod connected to a push switch in the dash

Reply to
aussie bongo

Thanks. That might well be the ultimate solution. We're hoping that there's someone here with experience of this problem; someone who can say whether the fault is likely to be within the relay or control box (which?), and whether a repair might be possible.

Reply to
DB.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "DB." saying something like:

Fit a battery isolating switch either to disconnect the battery or to disconnect the glowplugs.

You'll find them in motorsport suppliers - not chav bling shops.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon