mk 1 gti cold start problem.

Hi all,

Got a mk1 gti and it has a strange cold start problem, If the car is left for 3 or 4 hrs it takes a lot of cranking to start the car, it starts first time but take a good 5 or 6 seconds to get going , and after that it fires perfectly, if you start it again quickly. But if I leave the car two days , it fires first time. have check cold start regulator , aux start valve and

5th injector all is working okay . anyone got any ideas on what could cause this or a fix for it
Reply to
global village inhabitant

global village inhabitant

Excessively rich idle mixture or faulty engine temperature sensor are possibilities.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

thanks, BTW you got a top site for car information.

Reply to
global village inhabitant

My first thought was a faulty pressure accumulator, but this would lead to excess cranking at any re start after 3-4 hrs- i.e. when pressure has subsided after some time span.

Sounds like you have either leaking injector seals, causing loss of vacuum and thus not lifting the air flow plate from rest- but it would start fine if you applied even just alittle throttle, or you have a dribbling cold start injector which is basically flooding the luke warm engine- but fine on a totally cold one. Isolate it from its fuel supply by way of a check.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Could also be leaky injectors.