MK1 Focus 1.6 SE vacuum pipe

All

First of all apologies if this is a bit vague, I cant really see the pipe too well, BUT:

I can see a pipe under the Inlet mainfold it appears to connect to each end of the manifold onto the flat side against the engine it has a T piece with a shorter pipe 7ish cm going into a round device 20mm across thats attached to the engine block.

Dos anyone know what i'm on about :) Or do you need pics.

Thanks

Steven

Reply to
steven.langdale

forgot to say, i'm asking cos it's cracked and it's deffo got a vacuum in it.

Reply to
steven.langdale

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

I don't have my 1.6 any more but from what you describe, it sounds like the PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation).

Reply to
Paul Giverin

SE? Is that a US variant? Only this is a UK group; we're friendly here, and would love to help, but the US Focus is a very different car to the European one.

If you are looking for a replacement part, what I do for anything that might be misunderstood is to take a digital photo to my dealer's parts desk.

Otherwise, there is a world-wide group for the Focus at:

alt.autos.ford.focus

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks all

It is a UK model (black top) I'll pop into the dealer tomorrow anyway, I just wanted to know what it is when I get the replacement.

Thanks

Reply to
steven.langdale

In message , Chris Whelan writes

That's the Zetec 1.6 SE engine

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I wondered, because SE is also used as a model variant in the US, and the OP's email address is gmail.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, no, the Zetec SE is the family of engines- 1.25, 1.4 & 1.6.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..
[...]

Indeed. But the OP's subject line doesn't mention Zetec!

SE is also a trim level for the North American Ford range:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

....... but the OP's subject line did mention 1.6.

All the North American Foci were 2.0 or above ;-)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Tim.. writes

And 1.7

:-p

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Every thing's bigger over there, eh!

They have also had a hotch-potch of different engines in them, including a CVH.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sorry if I started a row!! :)

It was the PCV pipe. Though the piccy the parts man had didn't look exactly like it, whe it turned up it was spot on.

After removing it I found another crack on the blind side if it almost the whole lenght of the pipe. Tho is had also virtually collapsed so wasn't letting too much air in.

I've got rock steady idling now, tho it does seem a tad too low. Looking on the rev counter it "looks" like is just under the 2/3 mark, so 660ish. is that a bit low?

Thanks

Steven

Reply to
steven.langdale

no, that is fine

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

It's what usenet if for ;-)

If it's informed debate, it is often very useful of course.

I had the pipe doing the same job on my 1.8 fail in the same way, but oddly it didn't cause any running difficulty at all.

Mr Haynes says 700 +/-30, so pretty near spot on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

When the same pipe went on my 2.0 silvertop Zetec it didn't cause running problems but it did make a nasty hissing noise as the vacuum sucked.

The parts man had them in his desk drawer, he sells so many.

Reply to
PCPaul

Indeed!

The place I went to did say they were a very popular item!

It wasn't a particularly bad problem, was much worse when I opened the crack up a bit. Tho I did have a few incidents of it hunting up and down rythmically whiel it was trying to idle.

As the pipe was also virtually collapsed i'm also assuming the crank case wasn't being ventilated properly.

Cheers

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale