Mk1 Focus electric window

The driver's window on the old Focus has been dicky for many years after I tried to open it before it had fully defrosted once. I've struggled on with it closing very slowly and sometimes needing a hand to push it up the last inch but eventually something snapped completely and the glass dropped down.

Stripped it all apart today and what a frigging job. Cutting the waterproof membrane away from the sealant was an interminable pain but eventually it came away in more or less one piece. I then struggled to get the motor and brackets out through the available holes and tried removing the three screws that I thought held the motor on. What then happened was something spring loaded unwound but still left me with the motor in place. Eventually I got the bits out and the problem is just a broken plastic mount at one end of the cable. I can buy a kit off Ebay but god knows how to reassemble it all. For now the glass is propped shut with bits of wood but I'll have to face the reassembly sometime. It's all cables and pulleys that I have no idea how they originally fitted together and obviously it also needs pre tensioning somehow.

Is this a job that mere mortals can do and also how can I be sure the motor itself is still ok?

Reply to
Dave Baker

It is not worth sodding about with, a pattern window mech. complete is about 40 quid and is easy to fit. Prop the window up with a piece of wood till the new bits arrive. IIRC I screwed a piece under the lower edge of the glass straight to the inside of the door, or you can mess about with a couple of bits wedged from the bottom.

Reply to
MrCheerful