Mk3 Escort speedo problem

Hi,

I can't get the speedo on this car to work. Needle jerks or doesn't move at all. I have replaced cable and tried 2nd hand head but everything is still the same. It works fine with a cordless drill driving the cable from the driven gear end of the cable.

Is a dodgy driven gear a common problem on this model as I've tried everything else and (more to the point) I can't get the sodding roll pin out.

Cheers, Donny

Reply to
Donald MacLennan

Your problem is most probably caused by failing differential bearings, very common on these cars. The speedo drive is taken from the diff and with this moving about it means it's not always engaged. If you catch it early enough you can just replace the bearings but it's more likely to be a new/2nd hand gearbox time.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Don't know whether to say thaks or not :-(

I think I'll just use the rev counter to guestimate speed and wait for something to fall off. Thaks for the advice anyway, getting the driven gear roll pin out was going to be a nightmare anyway so I suppose I saved myself that job.

Reply to
Donald MacLennan

You could also find that the speedo drive gear in the gear box has broken. It happened to my Mk3 in 1995 - (Ford Finis part no. 3507702 cost then £11.51 plus VAT). (the part no. will vary depending on your model...) Luck Roy

Reply to
Roy Hammond