MK4 golf 1.6 PAS fluid change

I checked my fluid levels on my power steering and they was a little low as I wiped the dip stick and the fluid was a bit brownish considering the fluid goes in a "mineral green" I guess it needs a reknewing. The steering is a litle heavy I have read changing it can help with that ?

So I guess its past it sell by date and in need of changing.

How do I go about emptying the pas fluid ?

I was thinking syringing whats in the tank out and then filling up but I guess that won't get it all out so thought I'd ask how to do it properly :)

At a guess I should find the lowest hose connected the the resevoir and undo that pipe and drain in to a container.

Thanks

Reply to
Jimbean

If its a bit brownish it could have been mixed with some Dextron (red). VW use a mineral based oil which as you say is a green colour.

Changing the fluid will improve the steering, also if it has been mixed (topped up incorrectly) will not work properly.

Reply to
Rob

I see. I am undone the pipe at the bottom of the PAS pump and drain it all out and refilled with correct stuff. I got very and I was tired so haven't has a chance to have a drive to see how its behaving steering wise.

Thanks for the info mate, I guess someone topped up wrongly at some point, but hey ho at leas I spotted it and its fixed, hopefully this hasn't upset the rack/seals too much.

Reply to
Jimbean