MK4 golf passenger door not locking

I was driving a long all doors locked, heard a door open and looked at the passenger from side and the door pin had come up on its own with no one touching it!!! So I stopped got out and locked it with the remote central locking all doors but the passenger side locked. But if I press the lock button again it locks. Which is what I have done and it has stayed closed for about 30 mins now since I got back. I scared its going to open and some thief is going to steal my car!!!

I connected it up to my Sealey VAG scanner, and scanned everything and no faults found, BUT it won't let me scan the central locking module for some reason, tried the turning ignition off, and on and reconnecting the leads but it won't let me connect to scan the module.

What has gone wrong here ?

And theres me saying last night that for once the cars been running as it should for a good 6 months now, I knew I should've touched wood lol.

But advice on what to do or if I should try securing the car somehow would be most welcomed!

Typical and everywheres shut now *shakes head*

Reply to
Sarah

Water in the comfort control module?

You'd better hope it isn't, as this is just the start of your problems.

Shouldn't be, in a Golf, as I'm sure they're not under the passenger seat as they are in Passats, but you never know.

Reply to
SteveH

Had the same thing happen on our Bora. It got progressively worse to the point that the door rarely locked. It was a faulty microswitch in the lock mechanism. I had the lock replaced at a cost of £60 (in 2003) plus about half an hour of labour. You could probably pull the mechanism out an try cleaning the switch.

They seem to be a relatively weak point as the one on the boot mechanism also went - it can be replaced independantly of the lock for about £7

HTH Dave

Reply to
Dave

I hope its not the CCM as that sounds expensive! well so does the door module which I think is around £70, but aparantly the CCM that processes all the central locking functions before it passes them around the car. My mechanic thinks it could be this but hard to say without seeing the car, also said door module is a likely suspect.

Reply to
Sarah

We had the infamous boot problem aswell. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully the weather gives way and we can have a go at checking a few things. If its the weak solder joints in the door lock module hubby can strip it down and resolder it as he is handy with a soldering iron. If not then onto the CCM thingy or door lock module. Thanks VW lol.

Reply to
Sarah

It's the door locking module as Dave mentioned above. ANOTHER common problem on the mk4 range of golf's and boras. You have to strip the door down to get to it. It's caused by dry soldered joints on the mircoswitch. You can resolder the joints or replace the entire unit. While you are in the door, replace the plastic window regulator clips with the upgraded metal ones, before they snap (they WILL do)

Reply to
Slider

Hubby did the job today took him 2 hours to strip the door and 10 minutes to solder the cracked joints, put it all back together and the problem has now gone! YAY. When we got the car the regulators were done on both fronts aparantly he said which I never knew. So thats great as there a common failure too. There seems to be soooo many little common faults with the mk4 golfs we've had so many of them this car feels so unlucky at times but for the most part its a good car.

Thanks for the post slider, I was looking out for a reply from you aswell knowing your clued up on the VW side of things :)

Reply to
Sarah

I doubt it would be water in the CCM as its located underneath the kick panels below the steering wheel on mk4 golfs. Although with the amount of leaks on golfs you never know where there is water. The CCM is a 5 minute fix, literally just remove the kick panels underneath steering wheel, a few torx t20 from memory, unpluig a few plugs, in goes new one, torx up replug, job done.

Money is the door lock module and dry solder joints, easily fixed just a pain getting to it.

Reply to
Peter smith