mk4 golf strut help

Hi,

I've got most of the strut undone, just cant free it from the hub.

All bolts undone, and the clamp that goes in the hub bit of very tight so it won't freely come out.

Any advice on getting it out ?

Or is there a fancy tool to help break the bond of the clamp and the strut or some such.

Reply to
Pete

after removing the bolt leave some thin oil to soak in, then give the hub a whack with a copper hammer and it should start to move. Air hammer as a last resort, likewise you can spread the clamp by hammering in a suitable screwdriver or chisel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There's a poncy tool that does the same thing, SP 08485000, but a small pry bar or cold chisel works as well. Don't blowtorch it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks Mrc, and Duncan. I took your advice and used a chisel and a lump hammer to bosh it in and then twisted it slightly to opening it up a little, and gentle tapped it out, obviously with a jack under so as no to rip the brake lines :) .. I did soak some thin oil in as well. Came out with minimal force.

Sadly I had to stop as the time was getting late (finished up about 40 minutes ago) and will have a go at rebuilding it all tommorow morning. I have a new strut, spring, bearing and top mount to go on :) nothing fancy just standard stuff, but in the condition it was it will be nice to have everything working as it should.

I gather it would be a good idea to get the tracking done after.

I'm glad I got those spring compressors which came in handy with this. My friend said just stand on the hub to push the strut off with a compressor on the springs, buuuut I don't fancy that pinging in to me tbh so I ignored that advice lol.

Reply to
Pete