Mk4 golf T reg stutter/jolt

My wife just called to tell me something odd is happening with the car, basically when she is accelerating then lets off there is a bit of a jolt not violent but noticeable jolt.

The only work done on the car recently was the fuel filter, but there was no problem after that was done (by me) but it was serviced on Friday an only really driven today and she has now noticed. Sadly the mobile mechanic who did it is on holiday for a month so I'm wondering what might cause this ?

It was just the air filter, pollen filter, and oil-oil filter done. I asked him about the throttle cable as it felt a little slow in responding at the gas pedal he tightened it up as tight as it can go and put the clip in place holding it like that. Could it be too tight ?

Nothing else was touched.

Reply to
Pete

My wife just called to tell me something odd is happening with the car, basically when she is accelerating then lets off there is a bit of a jolt not violent but noticeable jolt.

The only work done on the car recently was the fuel filter, but there was no problem after that was done (by me) but it was serviced on Friday an only really driven today and she has now noticed. Sadly the mobile mechanic who did it is on holiday for a month so I'm wondering what might cause this ?

It was just the air filter, pollen filter, and oil-oil filter done. I asked him about the throttle cable as it felt a little slow in responding at the gas pedal he tightened it up as tight as it can go and put the clip in place holding it like that. Could it be too tight ?

Nothing else was touched.

mk4 golf 1.6 8v 1999 AEH engine 80k petrol

Reply to
Pete

Perhaps. I'm not familiar with the AEH, but many VW engines of that time had a throttle with both a cable /and/ an electronic throttle valve- the ECU trims the throttle adjustment using a stepper motor. You shouldn't adjust the throttle cable, or otherwise bugger about with the throttle valve without performing an electronic alignment: this runs the stepper motor through the full range. Obviously your mobile guy doesn't know this :-/.

This arrangment can give a slightly odd throttle response especially as you're trying to pull away, I find, which may be why you found it slow to respond. Our Lupo with an AFK engine has this arrangement.

If the electronic adaption is out, it can make the car run quite erratically.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Perhaps. I'm not familiar with the AEH, but many VW engines of that time had a throttle with both a cable /and/ an electronic throttle valve- the ECU trims the throttle adjustment using a stepper motor. You shouldn't adjust the throttle cable, or otherwise bugger about with the throttle valve without performing an electronic alignment: this runs the stepper motor through the full range. Obviously your mobile guy doesn't know this :-/.

This arrangment can give a slightly odd throttle response especially as you're trying to pull away, I find, which may be why you found it slow to respond. Our Lupo with an AFK engine has this arrangement.

If the electronic adaption is out, it can make the car run quite erratically.

Oh no! and he used to work at the vw dealership not far from us for 6/7 years! Bloody unforgiveable mistake really. I use him because he well I thought knew his stuff.

I'll try and get a tba done and see if that helps unless permanent damage has been done ?

Reply to
Pete

It won't do damage, but it might be confusing the throttle control.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I wonder if the mechanic did spray carby cleaner down or around the TBody.

This will do damage to the electronics.

Reply to
Rob

I wonder if the mechanic did spray carby cleaner down or around the TBody.

This will do damage to the electronics.

Its funny you say that as he was doing it he used some soft cloth to wipe it and it was not very dirty.

I remember goosing my throttle body on mk old mk4 golf I used car cleaner as per directions of the can basically even after and alignment it was still running like a bag of spanners. Turned out I had damaged the electronics with the carb cleaner, and removed protective coating from the TB itself. I picked up another one for about £70 and never touched it. Some same cleaning it makes all the difference and when I did I knackered it lol it certainly make the cars idle wild as hell. I think a gentle wipe with a dry soft cloth is best. Not sure if you should spray carb cleaner on the cloth to wipe the TB as it lined or something with some material. Once bitten twice shy hehe.

Reply to
Pete

I cleaned the Lupo one with carb cleaner, but removed it first and didn't get any in the electronics- a new gasket is only a few quid. It ran a little better afterwards.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I think the important bit is to spray the cleaner onto a rag then wipe out the body.

Reply to
Rob

Myster solved and problem fixed.

Turned out the garage had used a pattern part air filter that didn't fit properly and air was seeping in.

My local independant found in it 2 mins :) .. ordered me a genuine one and the problem has gone.

Now back to the point original garage charged me for a genuine one and put a cheap copy in that doesn't quite fit.

Reply to
Pete