MkI Moandeo V6 collapsed radiator and coolant leaks

One persistent problem on my tired old 1995 Ford V6 Moandeo is slight leakage from around the cooling system hoses, most notably around the hose connections to the in-line thermostat housing.

I've tried unsuccessfully to stop the leaks by thoroughly cleaning the aluminium spigots, fitting new hose clips and praying. As the leakage has been minimal, I finally decided to ignore it.

My radiator has just (literally) collapsed. The bottom steel U-section radiator cross-member has snapped and the whole cooling matrix is sagging and heading south!

For some reason, the radiator cross-member has two large vee-cuts for almost the full width, one at each end of the radiator. This seriously weakens the cross-member and it is at one of these vee-cuts that the cross-member has snapped.

I now have to disturb a lot of hose connections next weekend.

Can anyone recommend a good hose sealant that I could apply to the aluminium (and steel) spigots before I refit the hoses? There must be something that will seal the slight coolant leaks without damaging the rubber hose.

I've got Hermetite and Hylomar blue in stock.

Reply to
mlv