MkV RS2000 Central Locking/Alarm

Hi all

My 1994 RS2000 4x4 is equipped with remote central locking courtesy of a Foxguard F18-E alarm/immobiliser system. However, about 2 weeks ago upon returning to the vehicle, I realised the doors were unlocked but the alarm was still active. Further investigation revealed that the central locking was 'bouncing' (i.e. locking... then unlocking again). So I stripped down the doors and checked the wiring and all the mechanisms seemed to look OK to me. Then I tried the old disconnect (wait for an hour) and reconnect the battery lark to see if it cleared the problem - to no avail. I then disconnected each motor in turn and noticed that the problem was still apparent in the other door... so to my mind that ruled out the door locking mechanisms and components.

Being first hand aware of the dodgy Mk V fuse box issue, I checked this over quite throughly... no dripping water or dampness... no dodgy fuses...everything looked nice and functional. No other major electrical faults to report, just a sometimes dodgy 'sticky' full beam and a wiper intermittancy problem... of which a suitable analogy to describe would be the old one about waiting for a bus! ...But I put that down to a dodgy connection in the wiper/indicator stalk and I will get around to looking at this soon!

So, next a quick consulation with Mr Haynes and I've pulled one of the two connectors from the Central locking module (the one on the left). The doors locked and stayed locked. The doors now respond to the fob normally and lock and unlock the doors as before. However, the car is immobilised! With the left hand connector back in, the central locking 'bounces' again.

The central locking still bounces with the alarm 'disabled' with the key... but I've been informed that this may still be the problem? One other point of interest is that the little red light next to the clock on the dashboard seems to stay on a lot longer that it used to... before about 5 seconds... now 10 seconds +

Does this sound like an Alarm, Central Locking Module problem... or something else?

If it is the alarm then where do I start? The system is a Foxguard F18-E... I have a small 3 page manual but it doesn't really help...

I would really appreciate help on this one...

Thanks in advance

DJR (aka Ben!) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbigfoot.com

Reply to
DJR

having covered all options, you are now left with these either the rods that control the central locking functions are sticky, in which case they will need lubricating with proper slidy grease stuff (that doesn't fall off when it gets hot) this is an off chance anyway as I think there is just one cable to operate the locks

the other option is that you have broken something in the lock, so when you lock the car locks, the broken part of the lock jams and the door needs to open again this would suggest that the car just locks and then unlocks, rather than lock/unlocking etc for ages

the last thing would be a sticky motor and for that you need to get a new one but before you do, remove the actual motor from the door plug it all up then see if everything works as it should at least you are eliminating things one at a time

Reply to
nooneyouveeverheardof

OK.

I just disabled the alarm system using the key and then found and unplugged it's module. Surely that has removed the alarm from the equation?

The central locking module is actually a relay for this vehicle according to Ford. Apparently it doesn't need programming or anything...

Just to clarify, it was the RIGHT hand connector (as you look at the relay) which I have disconnected and this seems to have cured the problem.

I'd still like to know if this is most probably the case though as Ford quoted me £125 for the CL Relay module...

Reply to
DJR

my boss had this problem before on his old car, turned out to be a bad earth

Tom

Reply to
tom