Moaning Mondeo...

Mate has a 1996 Mondeo with the 1.8 Zetec engine. It makes a loud moaning/howling noise when started from cold. The noise goes away after a couple of minutes as the engine warms up, but can return intermittently when driving. Sounds bearing-ish to me, but I'm no car expert.

It's coming from the side of the engine with the cambelt and fanbelt. It's not fanbelt squeal. Cambelt, tensioners and water pump were replaced "a few thousand miles ago" according to him.

Any ideas? I've suggested he have the cambelt checked out as it could be a tensioner about to let go.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A/C compressor. Get it replaced - no messing.

Rgds

Al.

Reply to
Colin Dempster

In article , Colin Dempster writes

Doesn't have one (LX model). He had it looked at by a garage which reckons it's the power steering pump on account of the fluid being a bit low and a slight leak from the rack.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson