Modeo Mk 3 - Rumble From Rear

I thought I had a silencer beginning to blow, but soon sussed that it was road speed related, so I'm guessing a rear wheel bearing.

Over the Xmas freeze-up, as the clutch engaged as I drove out of the garage there was a sharp bang from the rear, and I thought it might be the handbrake frozen on, now I'm beginning to wonder what else it might have been.

It's going in for service in less than 2 weeks so I'm keeping mileage down meantime. Any ideas of the cost of a wheel bearing job, or other suggestions of what might be the problem, please? TIA

Reply to
Gordon H

That will have been the brakes freeing.

Check for a sawtooth wear pattern on the rear tyres- run your hand over the tread. It sounds just like a bearing. VW Golf V based cars (Golf, Octavia, Leon etc) can do it as well, and it seems to depend on the tyres you have fitted. I've heard about it on Mondeos, and seen it on a colleagues.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I thought so at the time, but it sounded quite metallic...

P6000s. Thanks for the tip about tyre wear pattern. I can't feel any drag up to now, but it would be useful to know which wheel it was.

If I jacked the car up I doubt if I'd hear the buzz without something to get the wheel up to speed.

Reply to
Gordon H
[...]

Chances are you wouldn't hear it anyway because it won't be loaded.

Noisy wheel bearings are often worse when you turn the opposite way; IOW, if it's the LH bearing, it will be noisier when turning right.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

[...]

I don't know if you realise, but your last couple of posts came through four times.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes, many thanks, and apologies for being a bandwidth vandal!

It's a problem that occurs with my news client (Pan) when my news server, provided by Virgin Media, is slow.

I've swapped priorities so Eternal September is primary, and hopefully that will cure it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

..And I've just noticed that I drive a Modeo, not a Mondeo!

Reply to
Gordon H

I need someone in the rear seat, or in the boot. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Unless your hearing is very poor, you won't by the time it *needs* doing!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Unless your hearing is very poor, you won't by the time it *needs* doing!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

:-) There is no detectable difference (to my ears) between RH and LH bends. When I first heard it I thought it sounded like the universal joint at the rear of the prop shaft, and then I remembered it was front wheel drive...

That bang as I started out of the garage a few days ago sounded like the occasion when Dad's 1936 Morris 8 broke a tooth on the crown wheel.

I'm living in the past, innit?

Reply to
Gordon H
[...]

Perhaps it's a Mondeo thing; my distinctly non-mechanical neighbour had a problem with his last year, and thought it might be "a blockage in the carburettor"!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

[...]

You've got a lot of neighbours with Mondeos then?

Reply to
Duncan Wood