Mondeo 1.8lx V-reg idle at 1000 ?

My mondeo idles at 1000 rpm when worm and will not go any lower. Is this a pass MOT wise ? I heard that if you disconnect the battery for a while and then reconnect it, the ECU or whatever, may sort itself out. Will this harm the memory of the car ? I have the radio code ready.

Could it be the thermalstat that is at fault because it never reaches the middle, only a third of the way even after a motorway spin.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
john smile

First of all replace the thermostat if a thermometer reveals its not able to reach full temp, as otherwise it will not run closed loop and you will definately fail; on the emissions test.

If thermostat is ok, check the PSPS switch wires- they often rub on the underside of the bonnet and an open or short circuit will permanantly raise idle rpm to approx 1000rpm..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

How can someone manage to get a 4 letter word wrong?

Reply to
Conor

Because we are all different?

Reply to
Matt

In message , Conor writes

Fuck nose.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , john smile writes

As Tim says, your thermostat is probably knackered and needs changing.

I had a Mk2 Mondeo (my son owns it now) and it always idles at a shade under 1000 rpm. I checked everything out including the power steering switch, aircon switch and idle control valve and came to the conclusion that the gauge itself was over-reading.

Reply to
Paul Giverin