Mondeo

Im looking to buy a Mondeo, this i assume is a big step up from the Clio i currently have.

I know it be a much better drive and i like the size of it but how much more would it be to maintain? so far i thought of: Tax Insurance Tyres Petrol Also how reliable are they? I want to get a 1997 1.8 Verona, any good?

Any help greatly appreciated

Muggy

Muggy

For a cheap family sized car which still wouldnt disgrace itself at the golf course car park and around the twisties, the mondeo makes an excellant and usually very reliable choice.

You ought be be paying not alot more than £1000 for your R plate Verona- I think I would spend alittle more and get something alot newer mind?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hi

I've had my '97 2L 5d Ghia from new.

I've done 95K miles and I've had to have the following done:

Unscheduled:

Replace rear suspension mounts (under warranty) Replace temperature sensor Replace front discs New cat at 85K (£350 fitted by Ford agent)

Scheduled Timing belt and tensioners/pulleys at 5yrs Air con re-charge after 3 years

I've had it serviced by a local Ford agent (Hilary Brock in Olney who charge much less than the main dealer and do a better job).

It has never failed to start or let me down (apart from the cat). Insurance is grp 12. About GBP430/yr. Average fuel consumption since new is 32 mpg. Worst 24 (well we do live in Milton Keynes). Best 40. Front tyres do about 14K miles (Conti eco-contact, MK roundabouts). Rears last forever. The only two things I would say is that the boot isn't the biggest in it's class, and the ventilation is poor. You'll need the aircon to keep the windows clear when it's raining (and before anybody says I have changed the pollen filter).

If you can get a 2L it certainly has more poke than the 1.8. It's nicely geared - 3.5K rpm at indicated 90 (actual 84mph) so is great on motorways.

Loads to choose from so get looking for a GLS or Ghia which has a few more bells/whistles than a Verona.

Kev

Reply to
Kevin