Mondeo 2L dash lights fuse blown

Hi,

Car as described above, 'S' reg 5 door model btw. We had a lot of rain in the south east over the weekend, this may or may not be relevant but the dashboard lights have all gone out. Found the fuse under the 'glove-box' (tricky to open but OK when you know how) and replaced with the spare (7.5A)fuse found in the fuse box under the bonnet.

However, no avail, lights still out but everything else OK. So, is it related to the rain I wonder? If a bulb has gone is it possible that it has shorted out so now blows a new fuse? Is it possible to isolated different parts of the wiring behind the dash (and heaven only knows how I get at it in the first place!).

Sorry for all the questions, but any hints as to how I can resolve this without spending a small fortune on an auto-electrician.

Thanks

Reply to
ian_game

Ian,

Mine had a similar fault. When you turn the lights on, and your dashboard is blacked out, check that the sidelights have come on. If they haven't, chances are that you need a new light switch...!

If the sidelights come on however, then it definitely points to a fault in the low-current 'dashboard illumination' circuit.

Sounds obvious, but my Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X took out a lighting fuse, but then had to have a new rotary light switch too. Cost: about £13 from your friendly Ford Dealer.

Regards

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Alan,

Thanks for that tip. I've just checked and the side lights do come on so it looks like some problem other than the light switch, though I will bear that in mind as it seems it is responsible for fuse blowing in your case.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
ian_game

Some one has not caught the panel light dimmer switch by the ignition lock by chance?

Reply to
Pete Rixon

Fixed the problem folks! FWIW, I took the hint from the post about the main switch blowing fuses so I had a look at that area. I found that the switch illumination bulb itself had blown so that was suspicious. Took out the bulb, metered across the supply and no short found. New fuse put in and away we go!

Thanks

Reply to
ian_game

Heh, back to the top of the class !!

The bulbs tend to get rather warm, and melt the surrounding area.

Original bulb was rated at 3 watts, your new replacement should be 2 watts.

Best,

Reply to
Alan Dempster