Mondeo 3 yr service 33k miles

Hi,

My diesel 60 plate Mondeo is due its three year service shortly. I'm wondering what to do about this. This is the first time I have had a young car; in the past I have had older cars done much of the routine servicing myself. I have taken the Mondeo to a garage to be serviced because I understood this was necessary to maintain the warranty.

If the warranty only last three years then it will expire this year, so is there any point paying a garage to change oil that I could do myself? I asked the independent garage who has done the earlier services for a quote and he said £240ish. He said 3 years is a major service. I've just gone to Ford's web site and it says 3 years is a minor service. Who is right?

Some Ford dealers also charge £240 but a couple near me are offering it for £145. So should I go to the dealer after all?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

What does your handbook say?

One thing worth considering is that if you are unlucky enough to have a major problem shortly after the warranty expires, the dealer is much more likely to try to get you some reduction in your costs from Ford if you have it serviced by them.

After that, it depends on how long you are intending to keep the car. If you are looking to change it at, say, five years, then some sort of garage stamp in the service book is a worthwhile sales aid.

If you are keeping it for a longer period, and you are able to do the work yourself, that's the best way.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Is that all the service involves? You know this for a fact?

Ah, no - you don't know that for a fact. So what's the handbook/service guide say? You know, the one in the glovebox...

Oh, and don't forget the MOT.

Reply to
Adrian

Don't shoot the messenger! I realise a service involves more than just an oil change but I thought everyone here would take that as read.

The service booklet just has pages to be stamped without saying what should be done at each service. Both garages got the data off their computer, so they must have some service specification not available to the public.

The handbook does say I should check the oil level and brake fluid level and tyre pressures every time I refuel. I can't remember seeing anyone else with their bonnets open at the petrol station and I don't think I would get an accurate oil level or tyre pressures if I did!

Both Ford and the independent garage said the service involved oil and filter change, cabin filter, and air filter. My question is why the independent garage calls this a major service whilst Ford call this a minor service. Why the difference in terminology?

Reply to
Fred
[...]

Ford 'minor' services don't include the air filter.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No shooting - messengers or otherwise - involved.

The question was more one of whether you understood that or not.

Not necessarily. A quick google for "Mondeo service schedule" sees this as the first result...

Put your car details in, and it tells you exactly what the service involves.

Yes, well. We all know that the average muppet thinks an MOT is all the preventative maintenance their vehicle needs.

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

Believe it or not, that's often literally true!

One of the first jobs my stepson did as an AA patrol was a 1.25 Fiesta, owned by a young woman. It had been left to run out of oil, and had seized, so was effectively scrap. The owner was angry, and said she was going to take her garage to court. Enquiry revealed that it had been in for an MOT the previous week, and she really believed that's all she needed to do. She was incredulous to the point of disbelief when told the facts!

Over the time he did the job, he worked on many cars that had clearly been totally neglected.

I can't understand how new drivers have this misconception; part of the current driving test is knowing where basic things are under the bonnet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The rest of the driving test has _always_ been being able to drive. And we all know what resemblance that bears to the average vehicle operator...

It's like any exam. People learn what they need to in order to pass, then they promptly think they know everything, so forget it all.

Reply to
Adrian

It's a tax on the unintelligent or uninformed. Very good thing too!

Reply to
Graham J

In message , Fred writes

Last time I was offered a service at £240 (1.8 petrol Mondeo on a 54 plate) I pointed out that it had only done 40k, and only about 4.5k since the previous service. They then offered me a 'value service' for £89.

Reply to
Gordon H