Mondeo 70k service

My 1998 Mondeo is due for a service now and I plan on doing the following for the 70k service:

1) Oil & filter change 2) Air filter 3) Pollen filter 4) Spark plugs - which plugs should I get and how much would it cost? Do I really need to gap to 1mm rather than the standard 1.3mm? 5) Change pressure cap on expansion tank 6) Check PCV system and clean filter. 7) Renew wipers 8) HT leads - should I get these changed? How would I know they need changing and how much would it cost?

I've already changed the cambelt, fuel filter and replaced both front susension arms last year but is there anything else I should check for?

I get erratic idling so thinking of changing the rubber-piece. Would this cure the problem along with 6) above?

Thanks

Reply to
Scooby Doo

That's about it for the 70k, it's only a standard 10k service.

Only if you don't know when they were last done, although you could easily inspect these to see how blocked they are.

Normally done every 40k, and yes you need to reset the gaps to 1mm - it reduces the KV a little and helps prevent the HT leads arcing.

I'd buy genuine Ford one's.

Why? Any problems?

That's a good idea.

Why? are they worn, or do you have impaired vision?

If you do change the plugs, then yes change the leads, they often leak after changing the plugs.

Just go round the car and check suspension and brakes for any signs of wear or siezure. Pay particular attention to the anti-roll bar link rods.

Could be a sticking idle control valve. I'd wait until you've done the rest though, it's quite possible that servicing might elliminate this.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Interesting, and I understand the argument, but our 1.8GLX runs much better with the gap at 1.3mm. When set at 1mm it was slightly down on power, not much admittedly, but it lacked overall responsiveness. This using Motorcraft "platinum" plugs.

Could equally be masking another problem I suppose ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Also sprach Lee :-

Talking of plugs - I was looking at glowplugs today - and noticed that Bosch have a splendid numbering scheme for their glowplugs. Instead of PF34-E4J or whatever, they have Bosch 1, Bosch 2, Bosch 3 and so on. Cunning!

Reply to
Guy King

It would theoretically be down on power because you get a less fatter spark with a 1.0 mm gap although I have to say I can't tell the difference on my cars.

However what Andy is saying is that a smaller gap will ensure the HT leads have an easier life and will be less likely to fail prematurely.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

ICV is definitely worth cleaning at an early stage. I thought the infamous rubber T piece was replaced/redesigned on the Mk2 Mondeo.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Err yes, I did realize that ;)

Would this help the coil pack too?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

In message , Guy King writes

Not only that but they are supplied in really handy sets of...........

  1. Usually they only have one pack left of the type you want. Really helpful.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Also sprach Paul Giverin :-

That's not an entirely bad idea considering howm uch they cost.

They seemed to have several sets of each flavour in stock. Not that I need 'em - the Monty's starting fine even when it's a few below.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes, I saw those melt a few times too.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

In message , Guy King writes

Yeah but its a DI and hardly needs them. When I had mine you could easily start it without waiting for the light to go out

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yes.

If dirty or abit weak they are known to track HT back to the ECU which doesnt do it alot of good and can produce all sorts of weird and wonderful problems.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Change the plug leads if they haven't been swapped from new - you are begging for trouble from them otherwise.

Reply to
Chris Street