Mondeo again (instrument bulb)

There must be a better way of replacing an instrument bulb than having to take out the dash. Yes?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

no, but it is not as bad as it looks.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

How would you suggest? I had to take the instrument cluster out of my Ford Capri to change a bulb.

Reply to
Conor

Well, I would expect the instrument cluster, but not the whole dash. How do you remove the cluster?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I thought you meant the instrument cluster! iirc there are two screws at the top and the bottom is clipped in. I don't remember it being especially difficult to get out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah! Someone told me the whole dash had to come out!!

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I would think of 'dash'(board) as just being the instrument cluster, it must just be a matter of interpretation!!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes, it obviously is!

I've looked for screws on mine and cannot for the life of me see any. There is a sort of 'sealing strip' (my term) along the bottom but nothing around the other edge (there's only one other edge, given that it's a long curved one which meets the bottom straight edge at its ends). Whether this strip should be prised out or not I'm not sure. I hate prising things in modern cars unless I know they are supposed to come out otherwise a silly bit of plastic breaks off and then I've a problem. Anyway, the above description relates to the 'glass' front, not the whole cluster.

What model are you quoting? Mine's an 02.

Reply to
Rob Graham

I was thinking of the first gen. on your one you remove the cowlings around the steering column and below the instruments there are two screws that hold the instruments, drop the steering column as low as it goes, carefully prise out the whole lot, rotate the cluster to release the wiring by undoing the clip. They do say you should keep the cluster upright (as fitted) while out to avoid gel leaking from the fuel gauge/temp gauge

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks for thus help, Mr C.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

What is the gel?

Reply to
John

It is some sort of silicone to damp needle movements.

Reply to
Mrcheerful