mondeo air con problems

I've recently noticed that there is no difference in ambient temperature in the car when the air con is switched on or if the fan is used only. Are there any diy tests anyone can recommend to ascertain whether the air con is functioning.

Incidently the problem only arose when I had the timing belts changed, which I entrusted to a local independent garage. Could the 2 be related?

Thanks again in advance.

Reply to
Matthew H Williams

Yes.

There are 4 drive belts for these engines - with & without aircon, and post May 98 with & without aircon. The lengths may be different, and the routing definitely is.

If they've got a non aircon belt, and fitted it, the aircon compressor won't be driven, so you'll get no aircon.

FYI : The aircon compressor is the lowest pulley on the front of the engine. Stick your head in the engine bay (or underneath) and have a look. If there's no belt, that's your problem.

If it is, I'd take it back to the garage, and tell them to fix it. Won't take more than 30 minutes or so.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

You check if the interior gets cold...

The compressor is belt driven, and this belt would probably have been removed at the time. Check they've put it back.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Just a quick one..You won't get freezing air as soon as you hit the switch...it'll take a good few seconds (maybe even 30) to get _cooler_ air out of the vents. I'm guessing you're moving the switches (don't Mondeos only use aircon on recirc air?) to get the A/C light coming on, but no change felt. Do the engine revs change when the aircon is switched on or off?

My money's on the belt, though!

What is it with garages and drive belts this week? Didn't we have a lack of power steering due to belts earlier?

Reply to
Phil Howard

If the revs don't change...also check that the A/C fuse is OK. Light on the dash may not mean the A/C is on...

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

Matthew,

Also worth checking the tension of the air-con belt (if there's a belt there at all!) I recently took a lot of care during a cambelt / fuel pump belt change on my girlfriend's sister's 1998 diesel Mondeo, to discover about three months later that the tensioner screw for the aircon drive belt (one of three aux belts!) had slackened off to the point where the aircon belt was about to fall off altogether, never mind cleanly drive the compressor!!

Worth a look to see if they've tensioned the belt properly. Hint: intermittent squealing might give this fault away.

Regards

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Dempster

No harm in saying - re-gas every 2/3years (20% of gas escapes every year)

air con full cold for 15 mins every month and then 10 mins full heat - this dries out the system after lubricating" the system - stops the seals drying out and then stops it being smelly

compressor!!

Reply to
tommy