Mondeo aircon won't switch off

Dunno if this is a fault or not, but it seems pretty daft to me. The aircon on my wife's Mondeo (W reg 1.8TD) is turned on by pushing the fan speed dial, then a green light in the centre of the dial comes on. And stays on forever. ISTR that when we first got the car, pressing the dial again switched it off, but I wasn't paying that much attention at the time. The only thing that does turn it off, is turning the vent controls to '0', but it comes back on as soon as you switch to another setting.

Any simple solutions? (ICBA with complicated ones.)

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Pushing the knob does toggle the aircon on and off. But if the vent control is set to demist, that puts the aircon on permanently. Pushing the on/off switch won't turn it off. You need to set it to other than demist, then you can turn it off. Doesn't need to be '0' though.

This threw me for a while when I first had a Mondeo.

I guess the logic is that it will demist best if the air being blown on the screen has the minimum amount of moisture in it, hence the aircon gets turned on.

No solution therefore, it's the way it's designed to work.

BobC

Reply to
BobC

Thanks Bob. I'll have another play with it next time I can get near enough. I suppose the logic does make some sense, though it seems daft to cool the air before warming it up again, if that's what's going on.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke
[...]

That's pretty much the principle of air conditioning, as compared to "comfort cooling".

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I see.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (Willy Eckerslyke ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, no...

Aircon is bloody useful in winter, "cooled then warmed up" - because it's not JUST cooled, as "comfort cooling" does - but dried, too. That's why it'll clear your fogged windows damn near instantly.

Reply to
Adrian

It must be buggered then, because it doesn't. The bloody thing needs to be blowing at '2' or above even on a dry day to keep it clear.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

are you bringing in fresh air (not recirc) and is the pollen filter recent?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Willy Eckerslyke (Willy Eckerslyke ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Sounds like it, then.

Reply to
Adrian

Pollen filters are the thing. On an Ashtray and a Mondeo I've seen them take a tiny amount of moisture in the air and turn it into instant-full- on-mist.

Change the filter, instant fix. Oh, and clear the clogged drain tubes from the air intake cowl with a bit of stick...

Reply to
PCPaul

Nope, and I haven't got around to throwing it away yet. Thanks for reminding me.

Now that you mention it, one of the work Ashtrays was like that for a while.

Trouble is, I only drive the car about once a week and promptly forget about the problem once I get out. And of course, I'm never told anything's wrong until its too late...

But thanks, now that we've discussed it, I stand a better chance of remembering to fix it.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

it is a normal item for routine servicing

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If you do end up changing the pollen filter, don't follow the Haynes Book- o-Lies.. on both cars the slip of paper in with the filter told you how to bend things out of the way and ease the filter out rather than dismantle half of the engine bay - 5 minutes instead of 20!

Reply to
PCPaul

Thanks for that. Nobody in the family suffers from hayfever, so I was intending to either throw away the filter or rip its middle out leaving the surround in place. Sounds like the second option might be the easiest. I may even get to it this afternoon...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The pollen filter is not just for relief of hay fever. One of the reasons for the filter is to avoid getting a build up of muck on the cold bit in the heater, if you remove the pollen filter you will get a build up of old pony , when this gets wet from condensation on the evaporator it will stink, it is then extremely difficult to clean without major dismantling of the car.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

OK, point taken. Bloody modern cars. My thirty year old Rover doesn't have this sort of trouble.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (Willy Eckerslyke ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

(Of pollen filters)

Damn-near 30yo Saabs do...

Reply to
Adrian

In the greater scheme of things, a tenner and 15 minutes work every couple of years is not really a lot of trouble, is it?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan