Mondeo auto gearbox snatching

Hi Folks, so I splashed out =A3500 on a 1998 2.0 Mondeo saloon to replace my M-reg Peugeot. It`s not bad but there is a glitch with the automatic gearbox

- when pulling away from a stop nothing happens for a second then the power comes in with a bang so it jerks forward. As money is a bit tight I wonder if anyone can suggest what the problem might be and if there would be any chance of fixing it myself. My experience is limited to things like changing a starter motor or alternator or brake pads. Otherwise is there a garage chain or anywhere I could get it fixed for a reasonable price?. I`m based in north London. I`ve got a Haynes manual but it`s not very helpful.

Also there was no drivers handbook with it - is there anywhere one can get these? And anyone know what the correct level is for the auto fluid on that weird dipstick?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
Trophonius

- when pulling away from a stop nothing happens for a second then the power comes in with a bang so it jerks forward. As money is a bit tight I wonder if anyone can suggest what the problem might be and if there would be any chance of fixing it myself. My experience is limited to things like changing a starter motor or alternator or brake pads.

Sell it. Quick.

These autos are *very* well known for being troublesome.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

tim.

Reply to
Tim..

I'm afraid your problem is right there on the 1st line and in the title.

"1998 2.0 Mondeo" and "Auto".

I'd *guess* it's done 60-80k miles.

If they're used around town in the "Eco" setting, they burn out their 2nd= =20 brake band.

Chances are, any 2.0 Mk 2 Mondeo Auto has a hosed box.

Sorry.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

In news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.plus.net, Pete Smith wittered on forthwith;

Mondeo 2.0 Auto boxes were tragic when they were new.

Reply to
Pete M

- when pulling away from a stop nothing happens for a second then the power comes in with a bang so it jerks forward. As money is a bit tight I wonder if anyone can suggest what the problem might be and if there would be any chance of fixing it myself. My experience is limited to things like changing a starter motor or alternator or brake pads. Otherwise is there a garage chain or anywhere I could get it fixed for a reasonable price?. I`m based in north London. I`ve got a Haynes manual but it`s not very helpful.

Also there was no drivers handbook with it - is there anywhere one can get these? And anyone know what the correct level is for the auto fluid on that weird dipstick?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

my suggestion, tuck someone else up with it !!!

as the rest of the guys say, they are trouble !!!!

Reply to
reg

This is a classic symptom on the Omega auto boxes. A combination of old oil and a blocked filter so it's slow to build up pressure. If not fixed quickly it leads to burnt out brake bands and possibly broken thrust washers. The fix is to clean/replace the filter and new ATF but I don't know if it's worth trying on a Mondeo box.

Reply to
rp

There's no fluid change interval on the Mondy boxes ("sealed for life") and this is the direct consequence of it, coupled with poor software which causes the box to hunt for gears much more than it ought to, especially in the eco setting (o/d on)

If you change the fluid+ filters every 20k or so, lock out the o/d and use the sport setting around town (to allow afew more revs = pressure) they are generally fine for 150k at least.

The 1.8 auto isnt so badly affected due to less torque output, and lower ratio's, and better software, but they still do pop.

The 2.5 is a strenghtened box but still prone to abuse.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That sounds very much like the Omega box. It's also sealed for life but life is expected to be about 100k and this is the point at which they usually start to give trouble. If the box is still pulling the bands may still be ok so an ATF and filter change might well sort it.

Reply to
rp

The Cardiff cab company obviously knows afew things about the Carlton / Omega auto's as they still have 70 of these cars on their books mostly in auto spec all with well over 150k miles on them, some with 300k and working fine!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..