Mondeo blowing pump fuses

Having been dead reliable for years, my 97 Mondeo 1.8 Vtec blew the fuel pump fuse yesterday as I pulled away from a layby and keeps blowing them when the engine is put under a reasonable load. I have changed the pump but the problem remains. It is worse when the engine is warmed up. Any ideas please.

HELP

Pete

Reply to
Peter Robinson

I think I'd start by examining the wiring to see if it's earthing somewhere.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

That'll be Zetec, then :-)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Yes, its zetec

Reply to
Peter Robinson

I am told that a common one is wire shorting against gearbox case. Where abouts would I see this on the housing ?

Reply to
Peter Robinson

Have a look over the garbox casing, roughly the bellhousing split area. The wiring loom is clipped via the bellhousing bolts in this area, and can rub, especially if the car has had a clutch and the wiring hasnt been refitted properly. However, usually a fault here blows the main engine maxi-fuse. Its worth checking.

Some of the wiring branches off and travels up under the coil pack. If your car has EGR, its known for the wiring to sag and drop onto the EGR tube, again causing a problem.

The other possibility is where the wiring travels under the rear seats, it can rub against the floor pan.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Many thanks for that.

I think when I push the engine it moves and rotates on its mountings and something shorts. If I drive very carefully its ok. Am still checking around for something obviouse. I have pulled the loom away from anything which may short at the bell housing and so far its running ok at all speeds. Must sort it as wife using the bus will cause divorce ! Pete

Reply to
Peter Robinson