Mondeo Brake Removal Problems

I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to get the rear brake drums off of my 1998 Mondeo 1.8TD and failed miseably. I used plenty of WD 40 and tried tapping (very hard) round and round the drum from the back to get it off but it didn't move at all. I remember with some of my older cars that the shoes put a groove in the drum so it was necessary to slacken the shoes but in this case there is absolutely no movement ie it appears that the drum is rusted to the hub but with the amount of hammering and WD40 used I am sure there must be more to it than that. The Haynes manual states that there is a hole in the backplate which allows access to the self adjuster to let the brakes to be slackened but when I looked in all that could be seen was the shoe its self. Can anyone give me any tips. Also, my front discs and pads need replacing. I was going to do the job myself as I can get the parts from Partco for about £50 but, after yesterday's experience with the rear brakes, I rang ATS for a quote. They stated an unbelievable £170 !!! so I am back to doing them myself now. I understand that the discs are very difficult to remove, can anyone tell me the best way to go about doing the job and how long it is likely to take ? Also, are there any good value www sites where I may be able to get the discs and pads cheaper than Partco. TIA Mike

Reply to
Mike Day

front brakes, easy as pie rear brakes, you sure there isn't a big hub nut holding things in place?

Reply to
dojj

I have had a will have next time I do it the same problems with the rear drums. They are a real bastard to get off when adjusted properly as like you say the rim edge fouls on the shoes. I have not found an easy answer just takes a lot of working from side to side with several large screw drivers but being careful not to break the edge of the shoes. not sure whether you can get to the auto adjuster from behind to slacken it off as it has always come off the front eventually. good luck and p.s mine is also a 1998 1.8 td.

Reply to
James(JMR)

sorry about the bad English!!

Reply to
James(JMR)

Although I haven't done this job on a Mondeo I have had similar problems as the poster has.

The cause is the part of the drum which do not come into contact with the shoes builds up a rusted ridge - also the standard wear compounds the problem as the auto adjusters compensate.

my solution has been to remove the bleed nipples entirely, and then with a piece of wood against the rim use a lump hamper to knock the drum off (although concentrate on evenly hitting around the drum rather than force)- usually the force causes the shoes inwards- the fluid escaping via the bleed nipple. With enough patience it is possible.

Lastly - if hte drums aren't worn ( measure the dia) - and help subsequent removal - then I grind off the ridge with an angle grinder (again being careful not to damage the shoe baring part of the drum).

Hope this helps

Sydney

Reply to
sydney