mondeo cabin and coolant heaters

Hi,

I have a 2010 Mondeo. I was using google to look for ford forums/fora and found some posts saying that the 2 L diesel that I have has a 600W electric heater, so that when it is cold (like the last few days), it will heat the cabin without having to wait for the engine to warm up. I don't think this is documented anywhere. I would have thought the salesmen could use this as a sales point?

It's not clear to me how and when the heater is activated. The posts (if only I could remember the urls, sorry) suggested that the computer switched the heater on depending on the outside temperature, possibly the cabin temperature, and what was set on the climate control. I wonder if it only switches on if the temperature is set to "HI"?

With the frost recently, I drove to work with he coolant temperature gauge not having moved yet the car was lovely and warm , so it must be working.

However, I also read that the model before mine did not have this heater but had a coolant heater instead, using glow plugs to warm the coolant.

I'm wondering why Ford changed their approach? Is it that the electric heater is cheaper? It's often said car manufacturers go for the cheapest option. Or is it that the cabin heater offered faster heat to the occupants?

It seems to me that the advantage of a coolant heater is that it would warm the engine too and that has to be a good thing. It seems a step backwards that they have removed this.

It was nice being able to use the front heated windscreen but I notice a line down the middle of it. Does this mean one element is broken or is it that the windscreen has a left half and a right half, and this strip is a no-mans-land between the two?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

I would think the electric heater kicks in until the coolant is up to temperature, improvements in battery technology would be the reason they use an aux heater now and not previously IMO.

The quickclear windscreen is in 2 parts so the slight gap in the middle is normal.

MattF

Reply to
MattF

Fred submitted this idea :

If he pointed that out, the salesman would also have point out that the reason it needs one is due to the extremely slow warmup of a diesel engine :-)

Probably turns on at below +10 to +5C.

Heating the coolant first, would involve some long delays before you got warm air, so air heating will be somewhat more effective.

Some diesel cars were fitted with a Fuel Burning Heater, basically a mini central heating boiler burning diesel to heat up the coolant. Mine has one and very effective it is too. I can switch it on 10 minutes before starting the engine and the car is already warm to get into.

At below +5C the FBH will fire up automatically anyway when you start the engine, which will then provide some heat within a mile or so.

They are split into two separate panels, passenger and drivers side.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield