Mondeo Catalytic Converter problem

I have a 97 (R) 2.0i ford mondeo which is suffering from a serious los

of power, it won't go over 40mph. I think that the catalytic converte is the fault as for the past few months it has had a rattle on start u and sometimes whilst running (this rattle has now stopped). My question is, could the Cat be the cause

-- somersetviking

Reply to
somersetviking

Absolutely. The monolith in the cat housing has collapsed, blocking the exhaust flow. A new cat is on the cards.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

quick fix is to unbolt the cat from the centre section and break up whats left of the cat with a pry bar or similiar, so you have a blank housing with no remnants left of it.

i had to do this on one this morning as the customer was desperate to go some where but we couldnt get a cat delivered quick enough.

Reply to
reg

Yes, cutting the cat open and removing the broken half is the way to go.. Works fine afterwards, I have done several.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful