Mondeo Diesel - problem after fuel filter replaced

Hi all, I am a newbie to this so please forgive any lack of posting manners ! Just changed the diesel fuel filter as a treat for my Mondeo 1998 1.8td

- cannot get it to restart, it tries, but then nothing after the first brief sign of life, I read on here about problems with the hand primer leaking. I pump mine until it feels firmer (ooh eer missus) but wanted to know how many pumps does it normaly take after a filter change ? if I disconnect the top fuel hose from the primer pump should bubble free diesel be coming out as it is pumped ? is there any way of pulling a pipe further down the system to see if it bleeding air out ? last question to improve my understanding of the fuel system, if air is in the system from a filter change where does it go - how does it get out via a hand pump primer ? any help would be most appreciated, fingers crossed, jeff

Reply to
helix

It can be aq right bugger to get the airlock out. A quick shot of easistart often solves the problem.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Slacken off the pipes on each of the injectors and crank over.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Thanks for your very fast replies, I will try slackening off the injector pipes in the morning when I have an ample supply of rags and the battery has charged................grrr Thanks also for the other advice and confirmation that they can be awkward to start, I am a bit wary of using the easy start option until I become a bit more frustrated, as the works van used to get through a tin a day in the end - and the end did come. cheers jeff

Reply to
helix

YOu only have to do it once, then the airlocks gone. Personally I normally use a spanner, but that's because I've always got a spanner.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

A quick update - all is now well and it sort of purrs, in a old Mondeo diesel way, as good as ever. Here is the shortish version of how it went for those that have the same problem....... The very hepfull guy next door, who has had a few diesels had a look and confirmed the hand primer was not lifting fuel as it would be expected too, suspected too much air was now in the system to easily lift and came up with a number of solutions. On removing the filter and hand primer I rechecked all the seals were ok - not much fuel in it ! - but seals all in place and look ok. after refitting I got a large syringe and length of clear tubing( my friend is a nurse - dread to think what they use them for ) and attatched it to the top outlet pipe, while the bottom one from the tank was connected and then pulled all the air out and about half a litre of fuel - out of interest tried the hand primer and the amount of fuel moved was pitiful, but no bubbles. I then squirted some fuel down the pipe to the pump before reconnecting. The bulb was now very hard if you tried to push it. First turn of the engine for about 5 seconds and nothing, second turn started straight away and ran fine, couple of hours later and a good run and all is still well. I guess the test of time will see if all is well or I heed a new primer, until then I have a large syringe and lenght of tube in the boot........

jeff

Reply to
helix