Mondeo diesel smell

There is a smell of diesel around the engine bay of my Mondeo (TDCi, 18000 miles on a 54 plate). It also comes into the cabin through the vents when stationary.

I've had a good look around the engine bay but can't see where its coming from.

Has anyone come across this before? Is there a common problem I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
TTT

If you are worried about the smell, buy a petrol equivalent, it smells nicer. If you insist on keeping the diesel, wait till the engine is stone cold, start it up with the bonnet up, rush round to the front, and look out for leaks from the pump, pipes etc. This is how I found out where a leak on my diesel ZX was coming from. If I looked at the engine when it was hot, no leak. Cold, it had a leak from a part of the diesel pump which vanished as the engine heated up. The leak vanished, not the pump. I still have the leak as it vanished after 2 minutes of the engine running and never hit the floor in my drive. I assume the road down from my drive got it. It's a straight road, so any bikers passing through can shut the f*ck up. My bike has never complained.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Was the engine running when you checked?

Reply to
Conor

Tried both running and stopped - good thought though!

Its starting to get worse, so it'll hopefully be easier to spot soon!

Reply to
TTT

Luvvvvvvvverly!

How much extra did they ask for this?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I've tracked this down to a weeping around injector number 1 and put it into the dealer for fixing. Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

Reply to
TTT

I have this problem with my back door, but its more of a seep than a weep.

Reply to
rice