Mondeo Door Handle/Lock Problem

The other day when I closed one of the rear passenger doors on my Mondeo

-98 model) I heard a sound as if something had fallen down inside the door . The door still opens and closes as normal but when you operate the outside handle it seem to have less "resistance" than the one on the other rear door . Does anyone know what the mechanism is behind the handle -maybe a spring that has fallen off leaving only one spring instead of two ??? Any help appreciated . ta Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I have just changed two rear handles on an n reg mondeo. The handle has a large spring built into it which should return the handle quite forcefully. The reason I had to change the handles was that both handles would not return, the springs were still perfect, the fault was that the hinge pin for the handle rusts inside the plastic lugs and becomes stiff.

If both handles still work ok then ignore them, otherwise get a new handle (22 pounds each) and fit. The job is very easy, should be only 15 minutes per door.

I still have the old handles if you want to play !!

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

When you took things apart did you see anything that could fall off ??. The door handle still works so I'll probably leave it just now,well until the weather gets warmer anyway . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

There is a metal plate at the top that seems to serve no essential purpose, perhaps that was what went clunk.

I could email you a close up piccy of one if you like.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thx -that would be helpful- snipped-for-privacy@xpozure4u.plus.com

ta Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Had same problem with both rear door handles not returning. Just had a look at one side this morning and no broken spring. I gave everything a clean but found recentering the hinge pin produced a working handle. It took me best part of 1 1/2 hours in all.

Cheers

Dave R