mondeo door locks again

Good evening,

About this time last year, I had problems with the front off side door of my 60 plate Mondeo not locking. The car did not give any indication that it was not locked. I heard the locks clunk and the lights flashed, but if I pulled the handle the door would open; some times it would set off the alarm, other times it would not, which was concerning.

I thought perhaps the lock in that door needed changing but then I found that the rear near side door was not locking. Later that door was damaged and my insurer had the door repaired and the lock was changed.

The driver's door stopped playing up at that time; could it be that the driver's door only locks when all the other are locked? Was it not locking because the r/n/s door was not locked?

I also noticed that this behaviour only happened when it was cold, so perhaps it stopped because the weather warmed up?

Anyway, now it's winter again, the driver's door is playing up again by not locking. It is only intermittent, so I worry if it goes in, it won't play up and no fault will be found.

I notice that the f/n/s door does not completely unlock when I press the remote control: I have to move the tab on the door to let the passenger it; it only seems to have moved half of its travel. Is it likely all the locks would wear our at the same time?

Do you think that I should change the passenger lock or the driver's lock? I don't really want to pay to change both. I think they cost over £100 each and I worry what if I change them and the fault is not in the lock but say electrical; that's a lot of money to have wasted.

What do you think?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Sounds like a strip down and lube of the lock mechanism of the front passenger door might sort your problems. Most central locking systems won't work if one door is left open, or in this case, isn't locking properly.

I certainly wouldn't spend money on bits until you've tried some lubrication.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I suggest you take the gubbins out and give it a clean and grease. Start with the non drivers door that is playing up and finish with the drivers door if it's still giving a problem after the others are fixed.

Reply to
rp

Thanks,

I haven't done that before. What will that involve? The Haynes book will help me strip down the door. Then what do I need to do? Which parts need lubricating and what with?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

The moving parts of the lock, with lubricant.

Can't help you with any specifics other than to suggest NOT using WD40 as it's a poor lubricant once the volatile fractions have evaporated. Useful for displacing water and as a short term lubricant but not good for something that that you don't want to strip down more than once.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There is a product called gt40 which seems to last well and is my preferred spray for door locks, cycle shops sell it, smells nice too !

Triflon was the very best stuff, but it is no longer available afaik

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Apparently there was a name change after legal action and now it is called Tri-flow instead, so if you can find that then get some.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not GT85? I use it on my bike and so far. so good, despite being left out in all weathers.

I've also got a tin of lithium grease spray, which also works well, and might be better for the OP?

Reply to
RJH