Mondeo ecu

Hi

My 1995 Mondeo developed a misfire which happens after about 5 miles, I've now had new plugs, leads and coil but it still does it. The strange thing is if I switch the ignition on and off when this starts to happen, it cures it. It doesn't do it again until the car is started again from cold.

What's happening here, is it a faulty ecu and is it worth resetting it by disconnecting the battery?

Rgds Roger

Reply to
Roger

disconnecting the battery will clear the ecu and it can't do any harm to try but if the problem comes back, I can fully recommend the ecu doctor at Plymouth

I was toying with getting another from a scrappy but you never know what you are getting.

I have no affiliation with him or the company, it's just that they just repaired my Nova ecu which had identical problems as you describe and I to went through all the hassle and cost of replacing parts that were not required. the ecu had a blown driver chip which was causing overfuelling at cold and what appeared a misfire at other times..

dj

Reply to
engelbert

remove the pipe that goes to it and blank it off and see if that cures it,it's located as you look at the engine just off-center on the bulhead and left of the silver box.

Reply to
Simondo

It does point to an injector driver problem within the ecu. Really you need to check for switching at all the injectors when the misfire starts- you can backprobe the injector boots if you are careful. You should have your meter connected between 12v and then the earth wire on each injector- try each one in turn- you'll only get a reading on one with the engine idling- set the DVM to dwell or rpm. Revving the engine should see an increase in the reading as the injector is switched quicker and for longer.

If one is not firing, and you can see its because the ecu isnt pulling it to earth- double check by using abit of wire connected to the injector earth wire and then brush it momentarily to the bodywork. If the engine splutters onto all 4 cylinders when you do this it confirms an ecu fault.

Unfortunatey ECU's are both rivetted in place (bloody awkward location too) and coded to the car so swapping one from a scrappy is not easy nor simple, though it can be done.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.