Mondeo emissions

Hi Mondeo 94 2.0 si failed emissions test at MOT fast idle co 1.14% hc 196 Y .966

second fast idle

co 8.12% hc 461 y .763

natural idle test

co 2.01%

Car seems relatively normal to drive

Any ideas cat or lambda sensor or other?

tried to read ecu codes havent found anything relating to emission yet

Any help greatly appreciated

Neil

Reply to
replyto.....neilhin

Hi Neil,

I'm suprised that the ECU did not spit out some errors on Lambda and perhaps coolant temp or something else. Have you got an adequate way of reading the codes? If so, post the output as there are some good people here who can advise better than me.

There is a huge differential between the 1st and 2nd fast idles. This is concerning. Do you have adequate coolant in the system?

I was previously told that the CO level should be around 1% before you consider changing the CAT. With all my problems (and with help from Tim, Dave and others), I got my reading down to 1% before changing the CAT and then it was fine.

At 8% though, I'd start with the coolant sensor. Measure the resistance hot and see if it is in range. The move on to other sensors (checking wiring etc., to see the effect).

Take a look at

for furtherideas.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

At 8% (!!!!!!) I'd first be checking the damn thing is hot enough, and able to reach full temp. After that you're looking at the CTS as Mark says, then air mass meter connections.

What sort of mpg are you getting?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

temp was 97c will try to get codes again tomorrow get confused when codes start and finnish only got one of those red leds gunsons thing

Reply to
replyto.....neilhin

Hi Neil,

They do take a little getting used to...you just need to get used to the different length of the pauses. If you can get the codes out it will be a huge help.

Generally, there is a small pause between different numbers of the same error code and a slightly longer one between different error codes. I have my workshop manual with me today (how sad is that!) so can give the Haynes descriptions of the codes if that will help.

Where abouts are you? Perhaps someone on the list who is used to this equipment could give you a hand - I would, if you are near Cheltenham (Gloucestershire).

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Fair point ;-)

Reply to
Mark

Not 100% sure but they seem to be 233 exhust pressure to high and 452 vehical speed sensor

Reply to
replyto.....neilhin

Reply to
replyto.....neilhin

MAP Sensor (Air mass meter?) - anyway, these readings are spookily similar to mine when it failed the MOT on emissions. It was a faulty Sensor - it's that thing in the air intake pipe between the throttle body and airfilter with a couple of connectors on it :-)

hth

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Hmm, they don't make a lot of sense do they.

Well, 172 is Oxygen sensor, mixture too weak.

233 is the Ignition Module (336 is the exhaust pressure too high), and 452 is as you say, the vehicle speed sensor.

Perhaps you misread 172 and it is in fact 173 (mixture too rich), I don't know.

I'd suggest at this stage to clear the KAM (keep-alive-memory), run the car for a few hard miles and re-test to get a better idea of the current and newly stored faults in the system.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Had an awful cold the last couple of days and woke up with a much clearer head today Cause the readings of second idle test was so different to first I thought this must be a temperature thing so checked to coolant and was a little low so may have caused the odd second reading

I was ignoring an obvious code power steering 519 as I thought I was doing the test wrong as the code says switch not activated during test Checked the switch today and ok and making clicking noise when steering turned. I undid some of the lead covering to the connector and 1 was snapped off, so I soldered it back on.

Rechecked the codes and 111 for the first time (Why 452 was comming up as well I dont know but after 519 fixed both of them went)

took it for a run and now no KAM faults

did engine test and got 172 then 538 test error

this seemed because I didn't press the accelerator after the 1 pulse

did the test again 111

and again 111

Ill post a follow up when I get it retested

Thanks for anyone's help and advice and to any one reading this don't ignore the obvious and don't try to fix error colds with the flu

Neil

Reply to
replyto.....neilhin