Mondeo gearstick rattle

There is something inside my gearstick that is rattling, and its driving me nuts. I have taken the handle off but it seems the noise comes from within the next part down, a plastic tube thingy, does anyone know how to get this off, it has a tiny hole that goes straight threw it dunno what thats for.

The only way to stop the noise is by lifting the gearstick up as though ready to change into reverse.

Reply to
javatiger

I don't know Mondeo's at all, but I had this annoyance on a Nissan 10 years or so ago, and you had to change the long linkage rod that goes from the gearlever to the gearbox. The nylon bushing was part of the rod. It didn't cost much and was easy to change.

Reply to
Steve B

Have you tried a thick oil on the linkage and ball joint. It can damp out the vibration.

Reply to
John

I had this on a 96 Mondeo 1.8 TD when it was only about a year old. Exactly the same, lift the reverse gear collar to silence it. My local Ford dealer had a Technical Service Bulletin relating to it, they changed the gearstick assembly and it cured it. I didn't have to pay anything but the bill was for £35 all fitted.

Sadly the Ford dealer concerned has now gorn, otherwise I'd put you in touch.

Reply to
Doctor D.